Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Observations of 744 HOLD mode pre-app into WMKL RW03

On descent into WMKL, I had a wp D2080 set for 180/3000 and beyond that wp cd03 set for 170/2200. I decided to HOLD at D2080 so I set the hold function up, but as I went into the hold, the 744 continued to descend below 3000. I suddenly realized that the MCP ALT was set to 2200. Will the a/c typically descend to the MCP ALT even with a hold set as I prepared it? The second time I re-flew this pre approach hold, I set MCP ALT to 3000, and all went well as I entered the hold and the ALT held to 3000.During the hold, the FMC BEST SPEED annunciated was 230. I found this amazingly high given I was at 3000' and the hold was a default 1 minute leg. Surely 230 is way too fast? I entered at 180, flaps 10, and increased spd to 190, and then 200 (raising flaps to 5), but even 200 seemed a bit fast. On preparing to exit the hold, the FMC flashed DRAG REQUIRED. I could scarcely believe this. I had just reset VNAV mode for the exit manoever and spd was falling quickly down to IAS 180 before exiting whence SPD fell to 170 for wp cd03 ahead which was as I intended.Any comments appreciated, thanks!Jonathan

>During the hold, the FMC BEST SPEED annunciated was 230. I>found this amazingly high given I was at 3000' and the hold>was a default 1 minute leg. Surely 230 is way too fast?I am not sure whether it was too fast. The hold speed is usually the one that gives you highest endurance or in other words the lowest fuel flow. This makes sense - if you are holding you want to be consuming least amount of fuel.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg