Sign in to follow this  
psolk

Huge Breakthrough in Out of Memory CTD (I Hope!!!)

Guest Boaz

Paul... Amazing job you did!!Also you write with such passion! ;)I have had crashes as well, but they have all had directX dll related errors, which I found out has a connection to faulty textures!I know how back and all-other-body-parts-acking these crashes can be, and there for I salute you :-)Boaz.

Thanks Ryan,I guess my question is this, if the point of Navdata is to have an up to date database, then what if it is too up to date and the information does not match?Hello Captains,First, lets make sure that we have something straight. I never intended this to be a silver bullet nor to cure everyone's issues. There are some still having issues and whatever knowledge we can pass amongst each other to try and educate each other is beneficial. There is never anything bad in knowledge transfer. I am also not claiming that I am correct, I need others help to confirm, my findings alone are not nearly enough. I welcome Rob and the team to prove me wrong but at the same time I also welcome that I might be right... Trust me, I have been wrong about much worse that this ;) For those of you with no problems, good for you, be appreciative... But for those of us with problems, I think most of us are willing to try anything to address it. If someone tries this and it does not fix there issues, what harm? I am not saying every single person should run out and change their Navdata, Ryan is quite correct but if you are one of the few who have an issue, try the change, report back and we can go from there. As of right now I do not have any quantitative data, All I have is my own findings which I am sharing...Boaz, Rob, Ryan, as usual you and the team continue to go above and beyond in your interfaces with your customers and your continued dedication and support. Cheers to the whole team. To your point Boaz, I think it is a mutual passion that we all share...-PaulLiquid CooledAMD 4000 San Diego2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2Dual 7800 GTX 24 inch widescreen dual 19 inch LCDRaid-0psolksig.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest SKireyev

Paul--I don't know if I mentioned this or not, but my first CTD at EGLL happened very soon after (I think it was my first flight since then) updating the AIRACs and SID/STARS from navdata and planepath. Despite all of the naysayers, I think this issue is well worth researching, and may very well lead to eliminating ONE of the potential causes of OOM CTDs. In my case, I think there are other factors, such as the dreaded video drivers for the 7800GT (same as for you and Tabs). Also, as I said my OOM and my AIPlayr error are probably not connected.That being said, SID/STAR discrepancies should also be researched. For one, my QOTS FMC keeps saying that RWY05 is not in the database for EGLL when I load the flightplan. Can that cause an error? Maybe or maybe not. With so many differences, at times dozens of different addons by different developers with different ethics for making sure their code is clean and error-free, the variables are endless. Maybe we should compile an algorhythm, and set up the likes of a SETI screensaver network, utilizing the power of thousands of PCs to troubleshoot the causes of FS9 CTDs :). Who knows, in 20-30 years we could be playing CTD-free. Cheers Paul, and my sincere THANKS for your efforts and input. They are truly appreciated!PS: A question for PMDG crew: Has anyone ever reported OOM errors or AIPLayr.dll CTDs flying or taxiing in default EGLL or KJFK? Anything with all textures disappearing? Just wondering if it's just me.

I have no duplicate afcads, I run scanafd constantly. But the idea that sid/stars have some bugs in them would not surprise me, especially considering this was never tested, to my knowledge, with FS9 by the beta team. Maybe a conflict with addon afcads and sid/star files? Who knows? But I hope this fixes my dll crashes and out of memory errors

>Thanks Ryan,>I guess my question is this, if the point of Navdata is to>have an up to date database, then what if it is too up to date>and the information does not match?My point is that "the information" in the form of BGLs and AFCADs is outside the bounds of what a product like ours, LDS's, FeelThere's, etc do. To the best of my knowlege, complex addons like these don't use the built in FS data. The FMCs don't compare the navdata to FS's BGL data because we already know it's way out of date - it just uses the navdata files in FS9/FMCWP as a replacement for the FS default data. When you press ARPT or WPT on the EFIS controls, you're not loading info out the FS BGLs or AFCADs, it's coming out of the navdata txt files. An identifier and a lat/long is all you need to make that show up on the ND - it's a custom program, we're not using the FS GPS or anything like that to show that stuff. You could easily verify this by changing the name of a fix or airport in the navdata and seeing the change reflected on the ND in the sim.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

TBH, this does not look like it even works with the 74. The first airac I changed was PSS and it worked fine with no issues. By changing the airport name from Newark Liberty Intl to Newark Intl in the 74 NavData I get an error about the arr not found It looks like the 74 will not even accept the name change. Any idea why changing the airport name would cause the FMC to lose its dep/arr info? Especially if the airport name is irrelevant... Now I am stumped (again)Liquid CooledAMD 4000 San Diego2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2Dual 7800 GTX 24 inch widescreen dual 19 inch LCDRaid-0psolksig.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Team,This question is specific to PMDG and LVL-D as PSS did not have any issues with the name change in the Airacs...I guess my question returns to if the airport name is irrelevant to the Airac, why is that when I change the name of KEWR to Newark Intl from Newark Liberty Intl the FMC can no longer find entry in the database? With LVL-D the FMC can not find the entry and with PMDG it can find the entry but no arr/dep info. It is very weird that the a/c even handle the name change in the Airac files differently if the name is really irrelevant. Somehow that airport name is definitely getting used... -PaulLiquid CooledAMD 4000 San Diego2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2Dual 7800 GTX 24 inch widescreen dual 19 inch LCDRaid-0psolksig.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

OK, so I have been plaiying some more and indeed certain aircraft handle the changes to the Navdata very diffferently. I made the same name change with all three heavies. If the name is irrelevant and the FMC is never checking it then this should have no affect what-so-ever. It should really be a mute point. The fact that all 3 FMC's reacted differently to the change sort of implies that the FMC is indeed using the airport name. LVL-D -Changed name and FMC lost KEWR entirely, no longer in databasePMDG Changed name and FMC lost dep/arr info but KEWR was still therePSS- Worked fine and indeed cured issueI think this just goes to show that the airport name is a very relevant piece of info. Now we need to figure out if the discrepancy of airport name in the FMC and airport name in FS is important and why changing the name causes such different results with all 3 a/cLiquid CooledAMD 4000 San Diego2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2Dual 7800 GTX 24 inch widescreen dual 19 inch LCDRaid-0psolksig.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

OK, I need to eat a bit of humble pie on my last two posts about the airport name causing the airac files to load in the FMC...Thanks to a matter of a few seconds of one of the brilliant team members at PMDG, I now have the Queen AND LVL-D reading the Airac with the modified airport name. It was not a case of the airport name causing the issue with the FMC at all, it was a completely rookie mistake and the formatting of the spaces in my Airac file. When I deleted the word Liberty from the Airport name, I then hit tab to align the columns back up. A tab in programming terms counts as one space. The Airac file is very specific and needs the columns to be aligned not only visually but in the number of spaces as well. I deleted the spaces and then hit the space bar to re-align the columns with the beginning of the ICAO code at column 25 and both a/c are now reading the info fine. Back to the flights to see if I can get these two heavies into NYC with the new names...Thanks again, wipes humble pie from face...-PaulLiquid CooledAMD 4000 San Diego2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2Dual 7800 GTX 24 inch widescreen dual 19 inch LCDRaid-0psolksig.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

FWIW, I don't know if this bit of info will add anything to this thread or not, but up until recently, ever since the 744 QOTS came out, I would get the dreded pmdgoptions.dll OOM CTD while on final into the SimFlyers KATL-v2. This would happen every time including using the 737ng which it did not used to do.I always blamed pmdgoptions.dll which obviously had been upgraded by the 744-QOTS installation and subsequent upgrades. Then it occured to me one day to try changing the current 3rd-party AFCAD for KATLv2 to a version made by another person. Bingo, I haven't had a single OOM CTD since. The sim still pauses for a good second while KATL graphics load for the first time on the final approach, but it does not CTD. So I'm convinced, something in the earlier version of this particular AFCAD did not like the pmdgoptions.dll file or perhaps how heavily loaded the FS itself was running. I typically run ASv6, FSFK, FS Realtime, and IASooth from a WideFS PC while flying the 744 PMDG QOTS into some pretty dense scenery with 70 to 100% traffic of all PAI installed. Anyway, I don't know if this is the same kind of issue, but changing the AFCAD curred me of it.The AFCAD for KATLv2 that I'm currently & successfully using is from Adrian Norman on the AVSIM library released June of last year. The problematic AFCAD is from an unkown origin but approximitly 62.5k in size and dated 4/15/05. I still have it in my archives should anyone else need it for further investigations.v/r,Al

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Just a quick update, just got done with EGCC-KEWR in one of the other heavies that had the same issues and that I made the same changes to. Again succesful. This time it was CO021 from EGCC-KEWR, another flight that has not been completed in months. This time, no issue what-so-ever. I am going to do one more really long test, a 12 hour flight that again has always crashed in the Queen this weeked, probably Sunday and if that is succesful, based on the feedback from the teams I will either do the flights again to be sure, so far I have done KEWR-LIRF, LIRF-KEWR, KEWR-EGCC, EGCC-KEWR and I am going to do KEWR-LLNG and LLBG-KEWR next or I will revert the files and see if I can reproduce the crash. Not saying this is conclusive at all but positive thus far. I have not seen the issue since making the changes...Just a quick fyi...-PaulLiquid CooledAMD 4000 San Diego2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2Dual 7800 GTX 24 inch widescreen dual 19 inch LCDRaid-0psolksig.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Guest Boaz

Quick question...SKireyev did a post at the top about crashes caused my texture errors or so...I have been suffering from these quite extensively, although it does apear that I only will, if my flight time is longer than 5 hours.I mostly get d3d9.dll errors, which are texture related.My question is what you guys have found out.I recommend you read Taps' replies.I have just installed the driver he recommends, but I will of course not be able to know yet if it works...YOu are more than welcome to add me to MSN or mail me at: spoiler@vip.cybercity.dkBoaz.

Hello Captains,I hope all is well with everyone.A little bit of time has passed and I have done a number of long haul flights in real time since my last post. I have done each of the following flights (KEWR-EGCC,(UK2000) KEWR-EGLL (UK2000) KEWR-LIRF (Cloud9 Rome) and KEWR-LLBG (Freeware Israel scenery) at least twice as round trips with no reboots in between the segments and have been unable to replicate the error that was 100% consistent in the past. Before anyone asks I have not reverted the files to reproduce the crash as I am just having so much fun flying again to be honest... This unconfirmed fix is only for one very specific CTD. It is not going to fix every CTD in FS BUT it is more specifically CTD on Final after a long haul or a CTD right after touchdown specifically with any of the add-on heavies. If you are experiencing these issues, there are detailed instructions on the steps I took and the procedures to follow in order to test this for yourself at the bottom of the thread. Again, this is only for the CTD at the end of a long haul or right after touchdown when approaching specific airports. If you get a CTD upon startup, a CTD mid-flight, a hardware blue screen or lock up then this will not help you, I just want to make that as clear as possible so people do not waste their time. If you have one of these other issues then please read the entire thread above for some other software fixes...The following process assumes knowledge of the tool Afcad by Lee Swordy. Please backup all files prior to modification.1. Obtain a good text-editor (Personally I like Text-Pad (google it) but Wordpad and Notepad will work as well)2. Obtain Afcad 2.2 by Lee Swordy3. Determine the appropriate location of the Navdata PMDG (Root FS9FMCWPNavData) LVL-D (Root FS9Level-D SimulationsNavdata) same procedures as PMDG PSS (Root FS9PSSnavdata) Different procedures see PSS site for instructions4. Open Afcad and search for the ICAO in question For this example use KEWR.5. If you just have one file that says Stock, note the name and move to step 6. If you have two files, one that says Stock and one that says Mod, ensure that the names match and note the name and move to step 6 If you have more than two Afcad files, one that says Stock and multiple files that say Mod, search the forums for posts about duplicate Afcads.6. Note the airport name from step 57. For PMDG and LVL-D, Locate the File wpNavAPT.txt8. Search for the ICAO code in question. For this example KEWR Either do a ctrl-F or edit/find and type KEWR Note the Afcad name should be Newark Intl to match the Stock file.9. Delete the word Liberty from the .txt file one character at a time with either Backspace or Delete. Do not highlight and delete the entire word.10. Now, go the the end of the word Intl and hit the space bar until your columns line up again. If you count from the beginning of the line to the ICAO code the letter K in KEWR should be in column 25.11. Do ctrl-f again and locate each instance of KEWR and repeat.12. Save the fileTest...That should do it Captains, good luck to all and please let me know if this has helped. A few of you already have reported it worked for you but we need confirmation to really look into it.Thanks for all your time and thanks for reading,-Paul Liquid CooledAMD 4000 San Diego2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2Dual 7800 GTX 24 inch widescreen dual 19 inch LCDRaid-0psolksig.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Paul,As I've stated in a previous post in this thread, I have still been plagued with CTD when on final approach into Simflyers Atlanta v2 airport using any ILS approach and the PMDG 747(F). It seems especially pronounced when flying in from the West coast such as KSFO or KLAX. It always crashes as soon as the G/S centers and the decent begins at about 13nm from the threashold. The funny thing is, when I approach KATL from the west, I usually have to go around KATL to land west-bound into the wind. At 2800ft MSL, the SF KATL v2 scenery is in plain view but does not CTD, only when turning on final (westbound) and the ILS becomes fully active, does it then CTD. This tells me that the CTD should be related to a navigation issue, not scenery, which has already come into view by this pointI have checked the 0513 Navdata Airac wpNavApt.txt file and as you have indicated above, the Atlanta airport is listed much differently than the matching stock and moded AFCAD2 airport name "The Hartsfield Atlanta Intl". The wpaNavApt.txt file has it listed as "Hartsfiled Jackson Atlan"Question: As you can see below, since there is only 25 available characters (slots) for the airport name, should I use the first 25 characters as listed from the stock AFCAD? I.e, "The Hartsfield Atlanta I" This leaves no spaces b/w the airport name and the icao KATL.Orginal 0513 Navdata AIRAC entries:Hartsfield Jackson AtlanKATL09R09001092 33.631822 -84.447967108.9009201026Hartsfield Jackson AtlanKATL27L09001272 33.631825 -84.418403108.5027201026Hartsfield Jackson AtlanKATL27R11890272 33.634706 -84.408906111.3027201026Hartsfield Jackson AtlanKATL09L11890092 33.634708 -84.447967110.5009201026Hartsfield Jackson AtlanKATL08R10000092 33.646792 -84.438361109.9009201026Hartsfield Jackson AtlanKATL26L10000272 33.646797 -84.405511108.7027201026Hartsfield Jackson AtlanKATL08L09000092 33.649539 -84.439025109.3009201026Hartsfield Jackson AtlanKATL26R09000272 33.649544 -84.409453110.1027201026My changes:The Hartsfield Atlanta IKATL09R09001092 33.631822 -84.447967108.9009201026The Hartsfield Atlanta IKATL27L09001272 33.631825 -84.418403108.5027201026The Hartsfield Atlanta IKATL27R11890272 33.634706 -84.408906111.3027201026The Hartsfield Atlanta IKATL09L11890092 33.634708 -84.447967110.5009201026The Hartsfield Atlanta IKATL08R10000092 33.646792 -84.438361109.9009201026The Hartsfield Atlanta IKATL26L10000272 33.646797 -84.405511108.7027201026The Hartsfield Atlanta IKATL08L09000092 33.649539 -84.439025109.3009201026The Hartsfield Atlanta IKATL26R09000272 33.649544 -84.409453110.1027201026I have CTD on final approach (westbound & eastbound) into this airport six time this past weekend flying in from the West coast and I really hope this fixes it. I will test another flight again later this afternoon and advise my findings here.AL | KCHS - Charleston, AFB | Home of the 437AW (53 C-17's)

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest SKireyev

Are you using Ultimate Terrain (any of their products)? I had OOM CTDs with that product with crashes every 5-6 hours, until I uninstalled the item. The developer claims there are no issues. I guess in my case he was not correct. Either way, if you have it, wipe it off the HD, and run some extensive tests. If your sim 'lives', you might have found a solution. If not, then you might have to start rolling back your addons.Cheers,