Sign in to follow this  
Guest AJ

Airports with bad (Bitumus) runways - Make sticky!

As far as I am aware of that's the latest version. It's perfect and I actually don't see how it can be improved. Just go ahead and give it a try.Roland

Guest AJ

>>I went to the AVSIM library and tried to search for AFCAD.exe>but it returned 2783 files. I did manage to find AFCAD 221.>zip but on executing it, it says " This version is 26 months>old. There is probably an updated version now..." but it's>difficult to find the latest version.>>I have never used any of this stuff, so any pointer to the>latest version would be gratefully accepted, thanks!>>JonathanThat is the version I am using and it works fine for this purpose. Once you unzip it, just double clikc on the colorful airport-shaped icon and way you go. Search out an airpot by using the ICAO code (or you can hunt it down by country and city). ONce it displays, click on the "list" dropdown menu, and then on runways. DOuble click each runway individually to get a full list of its specs, including its surface type, which you can change via another handy dropdown menu.Andrew

OK, gentlemen, thanks again! (Learning all the time....)Cheers,Jonathan

Wow, it actually worked! Now I have an "ASPHALT" runway 2/20 at VNKT and the PMDG Queen can actually take off without crashing, yay!Only thing I am puzzled by is that if I click in certain spots on the runway, I get a different AFCAD window popping up called "Link Properties" and it says "Concrete". I don't understand what that means or why it's a different surface. I haven't read the HELP file, it's 4 miles long, but wondered if anybody had a quick answer as to what this smaller window is or means.Thanks for this guidance meantime. Seems to work!Jonathan

Guest AJ

Glad to hear it worked for you. I hope people will keep bumping this thread so others may benefit as well. Its a very neat and tidy solutions for a nasty problem. Unfortunately I do not know the answer to your question, unless you are possibly bringing up the properties of a nearby taxi way or a crossing runway. But that's just a guess. Andrew

I think that must be it, Andrew. I'm going to read through that 4 mile long readme txt file of AFCAD 2. It's amazing this stuff, I've never touched an AFCAD anything although I am aware of their existence--and how they can lead to CTDs and other weird and nasty things! So tonight has ended on a happy note.Thanks again.Jonathan

Guest AJ

Just bumping this for the weekenders to see. I am very pleased to hear that others are finding this solution to work for them. I hope that the PMDG team nice this as well and that the bitumus discovey sheds a little light on things. Earlier, I believe they thoguth this had to do with mesh or elevation issues. Instead, it is a bug in MS's bitumus runway surface.All the best,Andrew

>Instead, it is a bug in MS's bitumus runway surface.>>All the best,>>AndrewSo.... why don't you poste it in the general FS9 forum, just a thought?

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Guest alexx860

Macadam runways also seems to crash the Queen (LFRB / LFRS crashing at take off/landing) :)

Really? Not good news! ASPHALT seems to work well. Jonathan

Guest alexx860

Very often, my 747-400 "crashes" when the nose wheel hit the runway... :-mad I looked in FSNav and the runway material was "Macadam" (LFRB)

Exactly what happens to me when I lower the Queen's nose on bitumen! No matter how carefully I do so and I always try not to bring First Class crashing down!Jonathan

Guest AJ

>Macadam runways also seems to crash the Queen (LFRB / LFRS>crashing at take off/landing) :)I am starting to wonder what the point is of MS even trying to simulate different hard surfaces. Why not just change the color and leave it at that? In the real world, does asphalt vs. bitumen/macadam really make enough difference in terms of braking action for pilots to change their procedures (i.e. landing speed, autobrake setting, reverser use)? Just wondering.Andrew

Guest alexx860

Douala FKKD have bitumus runways too.. I replaced by Asphalt and now it works perfectly ;)

Guest chrisnorris

doh! is that why i've just wasted 90 mins trying to take off from NZAA.oh no