Sign in to follow this  
Guest amsterdamer

Some advice on flight schools

Guest amsterdamer

Hi there I wonder if anyone can help. I have always had a long term ambition of becoming an airline pilot. I am 23 years of age and am hoping to start my flight training in about two years time once I have saved up atleast

You can search here or on the Hangar Chat forum using perhaps phrase "pilot career" or "flight school" (make sure you use advanced search with AND option for words) and you will see quite a few opinions - posts like yours happen every so often. Most of the schools mentioned will be in the USA, I suspect since you are probably British (or live there) you should also contact Peter Sidoli who often posts on the MSFS forum - he lives in England and he is a professional pilot. You should easily find his posts and send him a personal message, he might give you more Europen perspective. There are of course many reputable flight schools and you can find them advertising in any aviation magazine - for example Flight Safety Academy (they are all over the world), Embry Riddle University (very known school in US with several locations). If I were you I would definitely shop around and not settle for the first thing that comes across. Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Rayek,A word of advice from me: it is not only about the actual cost of the training.You are looking at getting a flying job and I can tell you that the marketplace is tough and very competitive out there.If you have dozens of flight schools out there what counts to a potential employer is the reputation of the flight school.They are more likely to employ you if you come from Oxford or Cabair, than any other little known school that gave you a bragain training.What is important as well is the way you train.You may choose to go integrated way when your training is basically campus based, or you can opt for a modular route which gives you flexibility of taking your own time to complete the training.Again - airlines look for a structured way of training and you are much better off going the integrated way.There is also another way there (as Michal indicated - dzieki) - train in the USA get all of your ratings there and then do your conversion back in the UK, but you may end up paying more than you would do if you were training with Oxford or alike.Since you are still young there is another alternative to be explored, which can be the best way of all - the cadet programme with airlines. Every year major airlines offer a cadet programme to talented individuals whre they pay for your training and you declare that you will fly with them for a fixed number of years upon completion of your training.As you can imagine the competition is fierce here and you need to be really above the average as far as your grades and so called aptitude.I have gone the cadet way myself years ago with Dragonair/Cathey and can tell you it was very demanding.I would suggest you go and check a dedicated UK forum for pilot professionals and wannabies at http://www.pprune.org/You will find all the answers and advise you need there.CheersDom

Hello,I would like to add something more if you do not mind:As said before the industry is very tight and getting a job is not so easy, I doubt it will be easier in the coming year, but let's hope for you.Second, flight training is very very expensiv, and believe me, I am in the industry since 10 years, now, and when I count all the monney spent, I am about to have an hart attack. So choosing your school is dual. First yes a good reputation with good instructors. you may be a good pilot, but if your instructor does not know how to transmit his knoledge, this is useless.Second you have to think about one very first thing. MEDICAL.that can be the killer one, and after 10 years it has been the one who killed my carreer.So if you live in UK, as I think, check with you local CAA office where you can get a medical class one examination. If you do not pass, then think about doing something else.Also if you are going to achieve what you are thinking of, have a backup, get an insurance in case you loose your medical certificate, to get some monney back.For your info here is in very short what' happening to me:I started in the airline industry as a stop over agent for a commuter company south of France, Air Littoral, within 10 years, I went through JAA, FAA and Swiss ATP, 6000 h IFR flight time, and chief Pilot(for another company)position, as well as Production Test Pilot on FAR/JAR 23 aircraft. By that time I was young and may be like you never thought about a medical problem. After all that can happen only to others...Wrong!!! Today I lost my FAA/JAA class one medical certificate as of a retina problem for at least 5 years according to the medical council, 5 years just to see how it is going to turn. I am 36 wife and 2 kidsI have not contracted any insurance for that, and I should have. I have to get another job, and first to get an Income.I know that you can contract some insurance for this, as well as if you loose your medical after an accident, either in working conditions, or during your "free time".Check this, it will save you big troubles, and sadness.All the best to you and your carreer, may the wind be helpfull and not too bumpy.Cyrille de LattreAsus P4P800/PIV 3 Ghz/2 Giga DDRAMATI X800 GT 256 MegWin XP SP2 / FS9.1 PSS Beta tester