Sign in to follow this  
kmanning

747-400 Turning Radius

>If 153 ft is required for the turn then it seems only 200 ft>runway would be sufficient, 150 ft wide runway would fall tad>short. But then 200 ft wide runway would have plenty of spare>room, unless perhaps those airports have runways that defy>the typical 150/200 ft wide convention.>>EDIT: just checked and Antigua runway is 45 m wide which is>exactly 150 ft.>>Michael J.>http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpg>http://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg In Antigua we cheat a bit and turn at the intersection of the dissused runway,others have slightly enlarged turning circles on the end of the runways,still looks very close thoughJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

>Well, I am not sure if sim1.dll has anything to do it with it. It fixes only the longitudonal rolling friction coefficient. There is also a lateral friction coefficient which is apparently way too low in FS9 and to my knowledge no one ever attempted to fix it (few people around here are aware of its existance and importance) - regardless if sim1.dll encodes it or not. Micheal,You're probably correct. I'm not sure if it controls the lateral friction or not. If it does, it's a very small difference. But if you increase the lateral friction in FS9 and you make a standard turn while taxing, the airplane would come to a complete stop in the turn. Do you think that this would be a problem as far as taxing in turns?Ken.

>Are you guys using the correct Boeing method of doing a 180>turn on the runway? Its not nice in real life,as the cockpit>ends up over the grass and it looks like you are going off the>side!>>cheers>Jon Jon,I taxi to the side edge of the runway and go full hard, 70 degrees. Say for example you make a left 180 turn. Do you normally add a little power to engines 3 or 4, or maybe both, or do you just add power to all 4 engines when making these turns?Ken.

Guest Raptor

hi all-yes I'm using autorudder since fs was installed.Compare between nose wheel in ALL FS AIRCRAFTS and PMDG 744.1.e.g. learjetit turns very well as non-pro aircraft.2.but take look at this clip of PMDG 744.nose wheel doesn't move at all !it wasn't like that before. It's being stupid.I wish I know WHY?keep in mind: all of them are equaled while repaly.Abraham

Say for example you make a left 180 turn. Do you>normally add a little power to engines 3 or 4, or maybe both,>or do you just add power to all 4 engines when making these>turns?>>Ken. Ken,The official method is to add a little thrust on all engines to keep her moving in the turn,if you stop half way through its very hard to get her moving again with the body gear steering off centre.But as a training Capt pointed out to me the engines on the inside of a tight turn will actually be moving backwards,so thrust on that side is countering the turn.I guess it`s your 747, so do it your way! That`s the beauty of flight simulation!cheers Jon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

>>But if you increase the lateral friction in FS9>>and you make a standard turn while taxing, the airplane>would>>come to a complete stop in the turn.>>Ken, not sure where you got this from.Hi Michael,I didn't post that correctly. You said that there is also a lateral friction coefficient that is way too low in FS9. I was thinking that if you increased this lateral friction, this would cause a problem with the airplane coming to a stop in the turn. But I still think you're right because all of the aircrafts in FS have a tendency to go sideways and I think this is what you're referring to. I read over the post that Randazzo posted a few months back and I think he said it was a trade off. I'm like you, I hope the guys will fix this problem, hopefully in FSX. Hope I made it clear.Ken.

Calm down mate!As was already suggested to you, did you make sure your autorudder setting is off? Do a forum search on this problem, the nosewheel turning matter has been discussed before.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

>The official method is to add a little thrust on all engines>to keep her moving in the turn,if you stop half way through>its very hard to get her moving again with the body gear>steering off centre.But as a training Capt pointed out to me>the engines on the inside of a tight turn will actually be>moving backwards,so thrust on that side is countering the>turn.>I guess it`s your 747, so do it your way! That`s the beauty of>flight simulation!>cheers >>JonHi Jon, Thanks for the tip. That's the way I've been doing it. Yes, You're right. If I allow the airplane to come to a stop, it requires a bit amount of thrust to get it going again. I try to keep my speed at around 5 knots in the turn. If I allow it to turn at 10 knots, it goes way off the side. Apparently, it's slipping and the friction is too low in FS9.Ken.

Ken,If they fixed **both** friction coefficents things would be working as in real life and this is what we want (hopefully). Yes, your lateral friction coefficient will have some effect on stopping in the turn but the primary effect will still come from the forward coefficient. You can read an old post by Vin who complained about the lateral coefficient being too small - he was referring however to the touchdown phase - it also affects how aircraft behaves during the touchdown with strong crosswind but taxing is another side effect. I pray they fix it in FSX this is a relatively very simple thing.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest Raptor

Ok C.Mark :)

Jon, et al-The most amazing turn i've seen accomplished by a 747 was done by Air Force 1.Minor miscommunication about construction put them down a runway end that had no taxi exit.... There was a moment of "uh oh" then the airplane proceeded to do a 4 point turn around- just like they teach in drivers-ed....Not sure what the minimum width requirement is for a 4 point turn... but it sure looked skillful!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

no pressure on the pilots its only Air Force 1 after all! :)regarding friction its most relevant if you suddenly put full rudder at 20 odd knots ,the nose wheel turns but the aircraft goes straight..kinda like understeer and oversteer on cars