Sign in to follow this  
Guest JTH

How to calculate fuel?

Guest JTH

Hi everyone, I use FS Build v2.2 to create my flightplan, which I then export as a PMDG FMC file and as an FS2004 file.I'm just wondering though how I would calculate how much fuel I would need (including reserves) for a specific flight? At the moment I really am estimating but I would love to get it realistic to the way they would calculate fuel for a certain destination in real life. I'm flying the 744 by the way thanks, Paul.P.S. A semi-related question. Is there anywhere I can find out the routes of real 744 operators, what time they fly, the cost index they use etc? It would be really cool to actually fly a Northwest flight for example and be able to say that this is the exact flight they really fly each day or whatever.

There is a very detailed explanation of fuel calculations in the PMDG 744 manual. I suggest you read it from A to Z.As to your 2nd question some folks like to use www.flightaware.com - you have access to all real flight plans for a given date that they actually filed (for flights originating or ending in the USA). This site has really lots of data including big airlines and small operators. Please remember that optimal route between two cities may change daily due to winds - airlines are very smart these days in picking so called "wind-optimal" routes. Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest JTH

Thanks for the link, it seems useful alright.I will have a look at the manual regarding fuel.

Click the Navlog tab in FSBuild after you create the route, it will give you a fuel estimate that should be close.The best way at the moment though, without having access to expensive dispatch software, is to just load the flight in the plane and look at the FMC prog page after completing the FMC preflight. This is gonna be the most accurate number.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ryan,But how about the winds aloft? FSB accounts for it but FMC doesn't, unless you enter winds for each segment.Thanks,PatAMD A64 4000+ @ 2.6GHz, Zalman7700Cu cooler, Corsair XMS 1GB DDR, LTK6800GT-OC, Asus A8V MoBo, WDRaptor10KrpmHDD, TrackIR4, CH FSYoke + TQ, XP-hsp2

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Guest Foizman

anything like this for Europe availble?greets,Volker

FSB in the aircraft (you select) tab brings up setting options in minutes for hold, taxi, extra, and so forth. Fill these in and then rebuild the plan. I use it with Active Sky which takes into account winds aloft.The FSB navlog will show each fuel burn item and your total.

The FMC (at least the 737) in one of the pages has a setting for the average cruise wind and temperature aloft. So does FSB.While not as accurate at least it helps.