Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

How do you use the time on long flights?

Guest cliffie1931

The highlights of an FMC guided flight (for me) are takeoff to cruise altitude followed by planning and achieving a smooth landing.During the flight I monitor the instruments, check the FMC, watch the aircraft from spot view but otherwise find little to interest me. After a while I resort to accelerating the Sim Speed by four to get to my destination quicker.I often read of the pleasure others have in undertaking long flights and always wonder at the motivation for these flights. Have I been missing out on something?Cliff

Ditto here Cliff! Don't have the time or patience to sit at my Pc for hours at a time.If PMDG were able to develop some nice virtual flight attendants that may change however!;-) RegardsBen

Guest SIX

Long flight? How do you define "Long?" I think that an average flight is 8 or 9 hours. Long is 12 or more.I find myself busy for the first two hours monitoring progress and wx reports. I use AOG WXR along with ASWX so I may deviate from the plan if the wxr tells me I have a problem. I also am going over my vital information (fuel usage and planning, ATC, Traffic (AI or VATSIM), and finally I spend allot of time reading up right in here or other forums trying to research various topics or problems. Also, I may go to town or go watch TV for a couple hours. Finally, about three hours from landing, I check the wx and all my vitals, then start planning for the descent and landing. If ATC is online I check with them on landing information (what to expect and any pertinent info like turbulance reports and such. And from two hours, I am in the cockpit steady, maybe step out for coffee or something, but pretty much steady. The motivation is this two fold: 1. The Queen (or other heavies like LDS or PSS 772). 2. The sceneries and the scene between here and there.All in short the motivation is the EXPERIENCE :)Wilson HinesMy Blog: http://www.wilsonhines.com --------------------------------------http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://online.vatsimindicators.net/837438/3074.png

Guest Senior Captain

I have done alot of long haul flights which I consider anything over 10 hrs. The main thing is I want as much realisim as I can get. As my fellow BAVer Ben knows we can not leave the flight deck for more than 20 minutes because we have to constantly update our ACARS system, If we fail to do this we will lose all of our hrs for the flight. So my first 3 hrs take up everything from cold and dark startup done properly to consitently checking guages, fuel and weather. In doing so I can make any changes that are needed. The last 3 hrs are doing the same kind of checks so I can be totally prepared for the decent,landing and proper shutdown. During the middle of the cruise is when I will go over my destinations airport and weather so I can be ready for anything. I also take time to read more about my plane so that im as prepared as I can be for any emergencies.While doing this ive still got one eye constantly checking my aircraft. At BAV this is a must as at any time our ACARS system can throw you a challenge wich most likely will cause you to have to divert to another airport for any number of reasons. This does not happen often but you have to be prepared. Just to add our ACARS system does not allow for time acceleration. So after my long winded answer I believe that you have to have the patience and the right mindset. This is not an add for BAV, Iam just a realisim junkie. Just remember that wether it is 2 4 6 or 12 hr flights you should do what you enjoy or you will soon find that you hate it.CheersAndrew

I enjoy it, its what you have to do in real life, no time manipulator that I know of. Anyway, I read a book, do laundry, enjoy the view, listen to ATC, monitor systems, etc. I enjoy it

Why not fly short routes?San Fran to San Diego?London to AmsterdamKPVD (Providence) to KLGA (La Guardia) orKBOS to KPVD.You climb...and then a short enroute and then you prepare to land.Thats what I have been doing.If its a very long flight.....once on enroute.. go to sleep. PMDG 747 has an option to pause just prior to T/D. Wake up, unpause and land.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I do short routes sometimes. but short routes I would do in smaller aircraft usually. If I fly a long haul flight, I do it like I was "really" doing it, ie not going to sleep for the whole flight. But thats just me, practicing for the real world when hopefully someday I will do that as a real job!

Guest cliffie1931

Wilson I'd be grateful if you'd tell me what you mean by "I use AOG WXR along with ASWX" Cliff