Sign in to follow this  
Staffan

Is it possible that a videocard needs more power ?

Hi,Yesterday I got a major short in the powersuply. So,..what to do exept going to the retailer to pick up a new powersuply.....Now,...to my surprise, the old powersuply was a 200W !!!! But I picked up a 300W instead, since my motherboard supports it. :-)What I immediately noticed was that the videocard (GeForce2 GTS 32) now gives a super crisp picture, and even gives a much better performance !!??Is it possible that the videocard is dependable of a high powersourse to work properly? I thought that the old 200W was enough for a Geforce2 GTS.....?? What disturbes me with this matter is that there is not a single word from the videocard manufacturer regarding the powerneed for the card. If the card needs a 300W powersuply, why doesn

Staffan

Guest Eagle92395

You are correct in your thinking. Graphics cards (especially Visiontek models of Nvidia) are power HOGS! The more power, the better...no way around it. If you look to any high end gaming platforms like Alienware, Falcon...etc, you'll see that most of their power supplies are over 350watts (425 preferred) with MASSIVE cooling schemes. The lower the power, the hotter the graphics card gets due to having to "pull" power from other things, and thus performance drops. A Geforce 4 card will render things faster, but your G2 card should be fine for sometime. I use a G3 card and I'm perfectly happy with it. Get some cooling fans, and keep the power up to the card and you'll be doing great.

Thanks for your input.So my thoughts were correct then. :-) The only issue with the GeForce2 card though, is that it only has 32Mb memory. That is the only issue that could make me change my mind in getting a GF3 or GF4 card.;-)Take care,Staffan Ahlberg - FFG

Staffan