Sign in to follow this  
Guest BlueRidgeDx

OUTSTANDING PRODUCT...

i bought and downloaded the 74F this morning and am more than happy with it. The only thing that i find disturbing is, that my nose and undercarriage wheel is not turning anylonger.I can steer the aircraft and all other animations are working flawlessly, but the forementioned wheels are not going in any direction.Is it just me, or are there others experiencing the same?Best regards and thanks in advanceHolger

Holger,Are you stationary when you're observing this? The nosewheel will not move without some forward motion, per the real aircraft.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi Ryan,i am positively not stationary, i am moving with 10 to 15 knots and there is no undercarriage animation whatsoever.thanks for the fast reply anyways!Holger

Holger-Also make sure you have "auto coordination" turned off in MSFS.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Hi Robert,also Auto-Coord is definitely off.I should mention, that i am religiously flying the 744 and this very phenomenon appeared after installing the 74F this morning. Everything else works like a charm as far as i can tell after 3 hours testflying 2 different engine models.Amendment: This Problem may be specific for some unknown culprit in my system, i just want to know if this appeared before for some strange reason.BestHolger

Guest rnj slinger

holger i have the same problem nosewheel is not steering after update to 747frickPent 3.2 1024 htasus p4c800hd 200gb 4 partitionsmaxtor 7200 rpmati 9800pro 256 cat 5.8 ATTools21"IIyama crt19" relisys crtwin xp sp2 CH yoke + pedals+ dell laptop for asv ivae etc

Rick,at least i am happy i am not the only one, now i hope we will find more of us, so we can probably identify tie source of the problem.By the way, my setup is totally different from yours, except from the ATI 9500 ProBestHolger

I have not seen this. Here is a screenie of mine a minute ago.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/145241.jpg Must be user specific................Randy J. Smith................A PROUD MEMBER OF THE PMDG BETA TEAM[h4]Evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations[/h4]

> I have not seen this. Here is a screenie of mine a minute>ago.>>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/145241.jpg>> Must be user specific.>>>...............Randy J. Smith................>A PROUD MEMBER OF THE PMDG BETA TEAM>[h4]Evolution is a process that results in heritable>changes in a population spread over many generations[/h4]>>>More than user-specific, idiotically user-specific.....I had auto-coordination on and was looking at the wrong menu. Would one of the moderators please be so kind to delete this thread?Thanks for a wonderful aircraft, especially sounds now are massively improved!Best to allHolger

I had exactly the same tiller problem. Then I re-checked my realism settings and Auto-Coordination was actually checked. Now I never check that option, is it possible the 747F installation somehow got at the configuration of FS9?AFAIK in the real 747-400 there is nothing to stop the nosewheel turning when the aircraft is static. It doesn't castor when hyds are on, so as long as you have pressure the actuators will move the wheel. Obviously this is something which should not be done, unless the nosewheel is on a skidplate for maintenance, but I believe it is possible. It certainly is on the 747-200, which has a similar undercarriage system.A minor detail perhaps, but it might actually simplify your model if you removed the inhibition.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

Nope, the nose wheel will not move on the real bird if it is not in motion. PMDG know because they checked..................Randy J. Smith................A PROUD MEMBER OF THE PMDG BETA TEAM[h4]Evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations[/h4]

Hate to ask, but who did PMDG check with? A 747 pilot might well say you need some forward speed, because that would be good airmanship, preventing tyre damage. However my understanding is that, just like the 747-200, the 747-400 tiller will turn the nosewheel at zero ground speed if the hydraulics are powered.I don't have aircraft data to hand at present, but I found a procedures review for Atlas Air online, where the controls full and free check is conducted after pushback, before taxi. As well as ensuring the tiller is held during the rudder check, there is a note in red to ensure that the tow-bar has been removed as well, so clearly the nosewheel will turn when stationary.The body gear steering on the 747-400 has ground speed in its activation logic, but I know of no such limitation on the nosewheel. Its a fully powered system, not a boosted castoring system as on some smaller aircraft.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

I am not a 747 engineer but I see why the nose might not turn with zero speed - tremendous friction forces. You may have your hydraulics all powered up and theoretically the nose should move but it won't because the system was not designed to overcome such forces. I don't know why you make a logical deduction from the Atlas Air procedure ther calls for removal of tow-bar that the nose would turn while stationary. I simply see no cause-and-effect in this case. Aircraft manufacturers are known to play very safe when publishing procedures. I would not be so dismissive about PMDG and how they obtained this information - they have access to quite a few real 747 drivers.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

PMDG aren't perfect though. I'm an engineer who designs real flight simulators, so I know where to look for answers too. Generally not in Operating Manuals if you want the full truth. Maintenance Manuals are a far better source if you can't access manufacturers design data (even that can be wrong!). Last resort, ask a pilot, but don't rely too much on their answers.There is no inhibit on the 744 tiller at zero ground speed provided hydraulic pressure is available. Also there are no tremendous friction forces either. The nosegear has two wheels, so will rotate pretty well about the strut axis with zero speed. The problem comes if someone fails to check if the towbar has been disconnected. Not nice for the ground crews if the tiller is turned with it attached as you can imagine.I don't mean to disparage PMDG, they've done a very good job of the 737NG and 744, and I hope the MD11 is even better. However if you ask pilots, they will often answer in quite a non technical way. They are expert at operating the aircraft, but not necessarily in how it works. Also if you use procedure manuals as design data, you only cover how the aircraft is supposed to be operated, not how it will actually function if mishandled.PMDG is probably the least offender on these type of issues, some other addons with very high reputations have some more obvious errors. Bearing in mind these are games, not training devices, it's more than acceptable in terms of what youget for your buck.CheersKevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

Guest Matthias1975

>PMDG is probably the least offender on these type of issues,>some other addons with very high reputations have some more>obvious errors. Bearing in mind these are games, not training>devices, it's more than acceptable in terms of what youget for>your buck.>>Cheers>>KevinMy words :-)And I am sure if this should be a real bug it will be solved in the next update :-)