Sign in to follow this  
Guest bigun

Frame Rates In VC

hopefully PMDG can have an option to deactivate or keep this gauge in a "non active" state, hence keeping it there but as a dummy guage if you will. If it turns out to be that guage after all :) Maybe have this option in the PMDG menu?

I also have the same problems. PAX version has 10-12 fps more than cargo. Lowering instrument updates in the VC fixes most of the problem.Tom

Gents-I thought i'd add a note here so that you know we are reading.We're scratching our heads a bit as to what might be a common link/cause as to what you guys are seeing- and as of this moment we don't see anything obvious.For what it is worth, I do development on three different machines, the strongest is a PIV 3.8Ghz with 4G of ram and a 7800. I see a 2pfs difference between the 400 and 400F on that machine. (about 4%)On the mid range machine, a PIV 2.4Ghz with 2G of ram and a (dunno) laptop video card- I see a 4fps difference- or about 12%On the little travel laptop (fits in the flightcase!) I am running a PIV 1ghz with 1G of ram and a (dunno) laptop video I am seeing a 5fps difference, or around 28%.I'm not a tech-head. I tend to turn the machine on- install the newest drivers- and run it. I don't O/C- (wouldn't know how) and I'm not running any super-uber tech equipment. Everything I own i bought at CompUSA and/or BestBuy.... Other members of the team have varying degrees of hardware- and all of us see a slight drop in the 400F VC vs. the 400- but this is clearly caused by the addition of yet another display in the VC (the ISFD). Even though that display is small- it has an impact because it uses the same amount of resources as a larger display.I saw some hypothesis that the door animation might be a cause- we don't think it has any impact. Animations are very low resource items in the VC. We intentionally left the 2D nose door animation out of the 2D because it gobbled resources like crazy... (different techniques between VC/2D obviously...)So- sorry I can't be more helpful than just reading and digesting. When/if we have some ideas for you- we'll chime in....

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest GW Norris

I wonder if this has anything to do with the cargo loaders, since they are the one thing texture-wise that is different than the PAX version, I think they are always loaded even though they are invisible unless you hit a certain key that you programed for them.Just an Idea, Other than the Model and the LCD PFD and ND and Digital MCP, I can't see anything that's so terribly different from the PAX version. I know you are forced to use the LCD display for the PFD and ND because the option to choose either one is grayed out in my Options menu for the Freighter. Unless you can and my options menu didn't get installed right for the freighter. Anyhow, I have the same low frames with the Freighter in the VC ( varies from 9 to 16 FPS and I can get up to 30 in the 2D panel.The only reason I suspect the cargo loaders or the Nose door, is that when I was on the runway getting ready to take off I checked the VC frames and they were between 12 and 17, I then moved to the cargo terminal and opened the nose and all the doors and positioned the loaders and tail jack then closed all the loaders and doors and checked my frames in the VC and 2D and they averaged 5 less frames in each respectively.

Guest GW Norris

didn't see the Captains response before I posted, must have been typing while he was posting.They don't seem to think it's a texture or animation issue, Oh well, just an Idea.Could it be caused by the LCD displays verses the CRT displays, since it looks like in the freighter you can't even choose the CRT style, at least I can't in my Freighter.

Guest ha5mvo

The CRT/LCD indeed seem to be the culprit.Try dimming them out or just switching some off and see what happens.It sure makes a difference on my system

Guest zteve

I've found that the framerates are about the same as in the pax version until I begin the IRU alignment then they nosedive.-Steve Marsh

Guest SteveK

Thanks for the update on this Robert.Personally, I think it has something to do with the ISFD, or one of the other guages. The reason I say this is if you read Gearge Stoddard's suggestion of lowering the VC framerate in the PMDG menu, it does significantly help the situation, and to be honest, I don't really notice a difference between a refreshrate of 5 or 15 on my gauges in the VC.Maybe Lefteris can have a look at this, he's always good with panels and guages...By the way, I am very surprised that you are running the 747 on a little PIV 1GHz laptop, very strange. You must be getting slideshow performance, or you have absolutely NO graphical options turned on.Hope to hear back from you soon on this problem Robert, until then, goodnight.

>but this is clearly caused by the addition of yet another>display in the VC (the ISFD). Even though that display is>small- it has an impact because it uses the same amount of>resources as a larger display.It is interesting however that adding this display was not somehow balanced by the removal of its analog counterparts - and there were 3 of them.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

For what it is worth, I do development on three different machines, the strongest is a PIV 3.8Ghz with 4G of ram and a 7800. I see a 2pfs difference between the 400 and 400F on that machine. (about 4%)Add me to the list! With the 400 I get 20-25 FPS in normal conditions. With the same conditions with the 400F FPS ranges from 12-15. I also have a similar config as Mr Randazzo except for amount of memory. A P 4 3.8Ghz with 2GB mem and a 7800GT. Just a thought to explain why PMDG staff don't see this issue. Is it possible the version released is the wrong one? I seem to remember when the 400 was first released, there was an early issue that turned out to be the wrong release canidate. It was quickly remedied. Just a thought!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I can vouch for that as well. C&D is fine, it begins dropping once IRS alignment starts, and then gets progressively worse. I have it locked at 20 fps, and it stays at that until IRS and then drops down to about 10-14fps.Non-detailed System specs:Athlon 64 3400+nforce3 motherboard2GB RAMWindows XP, latest patchesNvidia GeForce 6600 GTDual Monitors, but only one is used for FS, in windowed mode, maximized at 1280x968LOTS of fs addons, including: UT USA/CANADA/EUROPE, FSGenesis mesh (all 76m resolution at the moment + buffer meshes), FSUIPC, Ground Environment, all the flytampa airports, Active Sky 6, FSNavigator, Active Camera, FSPassengers (not running at the time), and a bunch of payware airplanes - no freeware ones. I have a rome freeware airport, but no other freeware airports or sceneries. I have replaced some runway/taxiway textures, as well as some water textures with freeware ones from avsim. I could post a list of what I did if needed. Oh, I also have Misty Fjords.Random setting summaries from FS9 config file:texture bandwith mult 200terrain vertex level 199.5/4.5 terrain radiuses (radi?)everything else pretty much maxed out.I can provide any more information needed that PMDG might want if needed. I'd like to get this fixed, as I hate flying from the 2D cockpit - I like to look around with my active camera presets too much for the 2D cockpit (spatial awareness or soemthing, heh)-stefan

To add my 5 cents:Seems the new gauge could be the culprit, commenting out the gauge in the panel.cfg seems to help. But setting the VC frame rate to 5 fixes it for me. Pax version is smooth at 17 but slugish on the -F.VC FR limit=5: 16(min), 28(avg) =17: 9.6(min), 21(avg)Perhaps the new VC all-in-one gauge isn't throttling down with the VC FR setting.... In anycase, would be nice if the -F performance can be made to be the same as the pax version. Who needs super responsive standby gauge while the main displays are up and running?Anyway, enjoying the new -F a lot!PatAMD A64 4000+ @ 2.6GHz, Zalman7700Cu cooler, Corsair XMS 1GB DDR, LTK6800GT-OC, Asus A8V MoBo, WDRaptor10KrpmHDD, TrackIR4, CH FSYoke + TQ, XP-hsp2

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Just chiming in with the rest of the gang here in stating the 400F's framerate in the VC is terrible when compared to the PAX version. Love the work you guys put in on this bird though... :-)

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

>Who needs super responsive>standby gauge while the main displays are up and running?Very interesting suggestion. I wonder if MSFS allows to have different gauges running at different refresh rates. If it does I see how it could be applied to other gauges, not only to the standby gauge to get optimum performance in your VC.Michael J.

>To add my 5 cents:>>Seems the new gauge could be the culprit, commenting out the>gauge in the panel.cfg seems to help. >>But setting the VC frame rate to 5 fixes it for me. Pax>version is smooth at 17 but slugish on the -F.>>VC FR limit=5: 16(min), 28(avg)> =17: 9.6(min), 21(avg)>>Perhaps the new VC all-in-one gauge isn't throttling down with>the VC FR setting.... >>In anycase, would be nice if the -F performance can be made to>be the same as the pax version. Who needs super responsive>standby gauge while the main displays are up and running?>>Anyway, enjoying the new -F a lot!>>Pat>>AMD A64 4000+ @ 2.6GHz, Zalman7700Cu cooler, Corsair XMS 1GB>DDR, LTK6800GT-OC, Asus A8V MoBo, WDRaptor10KrpmHDD, TrackIR4,>CH FSYoke + TQ, XP-hsp2Yup that's it, Commenting out the ISFD guage in the VC section of the panel.cfg fixes the problem for me. I'm back up in the 20-25FPS range. I did'nt need though to lower the VC Frame Rate. I still suspect though, that somehow the wrong version got in the release else the Beta Testers and PMDG Staff certainly would have hit this as it seems to be universal judging by this thread. Is there anyone this problem isn't affecting?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d