Sign in to follow this  
lostmoon

Pteromerhanophobia

Dear Mr. Randazzo, herr Kapitan,Pteromerhanophobia. It translates as "fear of flying"; according to this website: http://www.phobialist.com/#F-I suffered from this specific phobia all my life. I fly on 744s five times a year from New York to Japan as a passenger, and every single time, I still get clammy hands during take off, and subsequently, any sort of bump, or mild turbulence. During cruise, things settle down and I suppress the fears. But ever since I started flight simming on my PC 10 years ago, and recently, enjoying immensely the level of realism on the QOTS (PAX and F), I've come to realize that the phobias exibited are slowly diminishing. It dawned on me that the fear of my pteromerhanophobia was precisely that: fear. More specifically, the fear of the unknown ("What was that sound?, Why is the plane rolling?" etc.). After all, as a passenger, all I have is one view out of the same window. Not knowing what was going forward in the flight deck is the main component of the fear. To me, it's tantamount to being in a vehicle that travels at 500 mph, you get one window to see out of, and you have no idea who or how the person is operating the vehicle. I am a lawyer, and I admit, I am a control freak. I thank Microsoft for creating a great FlightSim platform for third parties to work around, but more importantly, I want to thank you and your team for creating this remarkable product (QOTS) which in a way, has cured me somewhat from my fear of flying. Whenever I fly, (albeit, I still get clammy during the T/O roll), I talk to myself quietly during the roll ("80 knots... V1, rotate, V2). It gives me a false sense of control which in turn, allays my fear.So in a way, you guys basically cured me of my pteromerhanophobia. No need for expensive therapy...Thanks,Max

Guest RollsRoyce

Glad to hear you're over your fear Max. Anyways, offtopic Max, what sort of law do you practice? I am thinking of taking the American Bar Exam after completing my undergraduate studies (done by BarBri), if you know of it, could you let me know how it is?Thanks,Bilal

hi bilal,i practice corporate law as an associate. barbri has fantastic programs for bar preps. but, you cannot take the bar without having completed a law school. if you are thinking about going into law after udergrad, i would definately start thinking about the LSAT now and start doing practice test on a regular basis. i signed up for KAPLAN law review, and it helped.max

but, you cannot take the bar without having completed a law schoolHaven't you seen "Catch me if you can" ? ;)Karsten

Max-Thanks for the post, Max- it means a great deal to know that we have been able to help in some small way.I've been flying a great deal since joining the airline industry in 1989- particularly while i was in management and (obviously) while flying the line.I have had a few passengers profess fear of flying to me at various times- and while I might have been quick to dismiss it in a young male as "silliness," the confsessor was a 75 year old woman who was so clearly terrified she was shaking.Being a decent guy at heart- I found this disturbing- and I spent some time in the boarding area talking to her- and (this is pre 9-11) went back to chat with her briefly during our flight.When she deplaned at the conclusion of the flight, she hugged me and asked if she could send me a box of home-baked cookies. This obviously made me a hit with my crew later in the month- but it made an indellible impression:This fear might be irrational- but to the sufferer, it is VERY real.I equated this to my own terrifying fear of dentists- and based on this experience- i sought out a new dentist who would listen, understand and talk to me. It worked. I can actually get my teeth cleaned without being sedated. :-)So- don't be ashamed of being clammy/nervous or even outright afraid... To you, it's real... Find one of us who can understand how you feel- and talk to us...Baring that- load up the Queen of the Skies and convince your fellow passengers that you are in control of the airplane. ;-)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest RollsRoyce

Hi Max,Thanks for letting me know. Well, my situation is that I am currently coming up to the end of my second year of my LLB (Law degree) studies.)Its very hard to go into practice law here in the UK, but the American Bar is apparently open to all UK law grads. I was thinking of doing it as a backup and apparently on completion, you can practice in NY or CA immediately.Corporate law: I'm guessing mergers/finance/insurance/companies? Well, I don't know what specialty I'd go into, but criminal law seems interesting if the pay were up to standards!regards,Bilal

Robert, I have to add an account of how PMDG has turned my sister in law from being terrified to fly, she is in her late 50's, to someone who wants to take a flying lesson. She has always been a "white knuckle" flyer and couldn't fly without a tranquilizer. One day while she was visiting my wife, I was flying the 737 and she came in to see what I was doing. I proceeded to show her all about the flight instruments and how they give the pilots all the info they need to fly anywhere and in all kinds of weather. She had no idea of what was available and really thought the pilots just sort of got in the airplane, pointed it in the right direction and took off. This is a bit simplified but it was almost that bad. I then proceeded to take off, fly around the pattern at KSEA and show her how all of the instruments work and guide the airplane. She had no idea this was what was available. She was also very concerned that the wings flexed. After explaining they are designed to flex, she understood.From that day on she has had no fear of flying and is even talking about taking a lesson.It just goes to show that most fear of flying is based on a lack of knowledge and a few overblown news reports.Thanks again for your dedication to all of us simmers.Tom HIbbenPS: Downloaded the 747-400F last night. Another great addition.