Sign in to follow this  
wongben4

which direction is the engine fan rotate

Hi, do anyone know which direction is the engine fan rotate... it is the same for all 4 engine??thx ben

Guest dt1951

I seem to recollect that they turn clockwise as yoiu look at the front of engine. And they all turn in the same direction.

Ummm, counter-clockwise in the northern hemispher and clockwise in the southern hemispher? Oh wait, that's huricanes, LOL. Honestly, I thought it was counter-clockwise.Al

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest Panman

I believe that RR's rotate in a different direction (CCW when viewed from the front if I remember correctly) to GE's and PW's (CW) IRL. I haven't checked in the sim. But all four should rotate in the same direction as IRL.You would think I was more postive on which direction they rotate seeing that I work on the things at least 4 days a week (at most 6 days a week) and at least once every other week I do engine work.(Just checked in the sim, they have all three versions rotating CCW - s'not the case IRL)

"I believe that RR's rotate in a different direction (CCW when viewed from the front if I remember correctly) to GE's and PW's (CW) IRL."Actually, it's the other way around... RR's = CCW when looking from the rear ;)Cheers.Q>

Guest Panman

Yes realised that at work last night. When looking from the front RRs rotate CC - the others (CFM, GE, PW, IAE) rotate CCW.

hi, if all 4 engines rotate in the same direction, then according to newton 3rd law, the plane will tend to roll to the opposite direction of the engines rotate... is there any special design to compensate this forcethxben

Guest douglas earl

As you are sitting in the pilot seat, the PW eng's rotate CW, and the RR eng,s rotate CCW. Douglas earl

Guest AJ

>hi, > if all 4 engines rotate in the same direction, then according>to newton 3rd law, the plane will tend to roll to the opposite>direction of the engines rotate... is there any special design>to compensate this force>>thx>benWhat you are talking about applies primarilly to propeller driven aircraft (P-factor). In jet engines, the rotational force is not a significant factor in producing thrust. It is true that the fans certainly do rotate the air as it is taken into the front of the engine. However, by the time that air is compressed, mixed with fuel vapor, ignited, and blown out the back, I believe most of the rotation is nullified. Andrew

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hi,Spiral nose conesAll the larger Rolls-Royce turbofans turn clockwise.Our aerospace engines have swirls painted onto their spinners inorder to indicate when the engine is rotating while on the ground.In flight these swirls flicker as the engine rotates at high speed,scaring birds and alllowing them to fly clear of the engine.Source: [a href=http://100.rolls-royce.com/files/852/facts_100.pdf]1904-2004 A century of innovation in 100 facts.[/a]This is clockwise when standing infront of, looking at the N1 fan.As for the other types, I'm unsure but somewhere deep in my head says that the turn in an anti-clockwise fashion.And to reply to the original question, there is no difference in the engines used on either side of the aircraft with regard to direction of rotation - infact there is very little difference overall. Engines do not have a left or right side designation.Cheers,David