Sign in to follow this  
TheDanger

Engine sounds when packs switched on

Hi AllI import the dark and cold cockpit panel and go through the start flows, when I get to turning the packs on after the gasper I get the sound of engines at idle. I have 747 v1.1 installed with the new 747-400F version on top.Any ideas why please? Does anyone else have this problem? It never did it with the 747 standard.Also can we still use the dark and cold or will there be a new version to take account of any updates?Any news on a tutorial other than the smithy one? Or a printed manual similar to somebody elses? :)ThanksGraham

I am going to ask the obvious first. Are you sure your hearing the engines? The equipment fans and the packs are pretty loud.

Well I didnt hear anything like it in the PAX version.When I start the engines I dont hear anything different, its as thought the engines are running already.Maybe its just me but can somebody please confirm that the pack sounds have been replaced/improved on the CARGO version. When I turn the 3 pack switches on there is a whoosh, like an air blower blowing loudly. Turning the packs off stops the sound.To me it sounds the same as if I were to start a flight with the engines already running.ThanksGraham

Guest Cessnan1315efw

that sound is not Idle engine sound it is the packs and its very realistic...whenver you get onto an airliner before it leaves the gate, the aircraft is always making a lot of noise...actully most of the itmes its making so much noise that i cant even tell when exactly they even start the engines untill the pilots start taxing! The packs generate a lot of sound as they should...

I agree. I fly the B744 as a pax at least twice a year from the US to Australia or New Zealand where my family are. It's probably the only aircraft when you're sitting close to the engines (abeam that huge wing) where you hardly ever know when they are running or not, at idle. I've had occasion to believe that we were being towed somewhere, not knowing the the engines were running at idle , and I'm usually fairly observant of what's going on :)Of course once they go to take-off or climb thrust, there's absolutely no doubt that they are running.... :).Add to that the fact that you are in the cockpit and way forward of the engines too.Bruce.

Guest dt1951

Concur with you Bruce. The engines should sound like where they are really located (under the wings, aft and below the cockpit), not in the cockpit. There really isn't much in the way of engine sounds in the real aircraft.