Sign in to follow this  
Guest 744nut

speed bleeding off after loading

Guest 744nut

Hi Guys,This morning I loaded the saved trip/panel state of the 744F to continue my "maiden" flight from LIMC to VHHH. Although the AT is armed there is no protection towards stall- and overspeed and the AT mode has no annunciations in the AT mode. Roll mode is LNAV and Pitch mode is VNAV PTH. I am not able to re-arm the AT ...so I have to manually control the throttle and the stick shaker is very noisy :-)I checked my RW manuals and as far as I can see there is always an AT mode when the AT is armed and the speed is always controlled if the AT is armed.I wonder if this situation is the result of:- an "instable" saving function;- my ignorance about the AT logic;- A "different" AT logic in the software regardsTon

Ton,A little search (hint-hint!) would have resulted in this thread from page 2 of this forum :http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...d=103482&page=2Your issue is discussed at great length and workarounds are provided.HTH,S

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

I encountered the same problems yesterday, reloading a couple of saved flights. Did something "break" the save function? Save does work smoothly on the passenger version. These "workarounds" didn't work for me. Upon reloading a saved flight, speeds are erratic, leading rapidly to loss of control of the aircraft. ricardo

Guest 744nut

Hi Soren,I tried the search function...but this one did not pop up :-( I understand that it is a glitch in the software. I will try all these workarounds later tonight. And I hope it can be solved, because it is rather annoying ;-)regardsTon

Gents-Let me jump in here with a bit of official knowledge:1) The autothrottle is not broken.2) The autothrottle is not buggy.Those who have posted either of the above in this or the related thread may not entirely understand how the system is working and why it is dropping offline during reloads.Okay- a couple of things:Our autothrottle is designed to behave as closely as possible to the "real beast." We don't simply run a thrust cue around inside of FS in hopes of maintaining appropriate speed. We have EEC simulations controling engine parameters in conjunction with the Air Data Computers, AFDS, etc.When the airplane reloads from a saved flight- MSFS goes through a process of initialization in which all values are wiped clean and reset. When this process takes place- the entire airplane becomes depowered- depressured- deengined, etc. MSFS takes your airplane from cold/dark to in flight in about 2 seconds...The autothrottle system depends on a myriad of systems in order to operate. Since these systems go through a brief period of flux- most of the time the autothrottle will initialize correctly- then check to ensure all of it's required parameters are correct only to find that the majority of systms within the airplane are not online or correctly initialized.It then drops offline.I'm thrilled to hear a few of you recognizing that the place to know for certain which modes are operating is the FMA. GOOD!If you do not have an A/T mode after reloading a saved situation- we find that reseting the lateral and vertical modes tends to bring it back online in concert with its usual behaviors. (most often- simply clicking VNAV will bring it back up)If that doesn't work- clear the lateral and vertical modes and bring them back online.The 747-400 can't be "saved enroute" in the real world- so sometimes the intricate modeling doesn't like the stop/start associated with it...

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest 744nut

Hi Robert,Thanks for your explanation! My "poor understanding of how the system is working" is updated now completely :-) and I know the workaround now. I enjoyed flying "the lady with working boots" onTon

Ton->Thanks for your explanation! My "poor understanding of how the>system is working" is updated now completely :-) and I know>the workaround now. Ooops.. That sounded kind of insulting didn't it? Accidental. :-)There- i changed the sentence in my post... Better?

Then why does -upon reloading a saved flight- the autothrottle system in the LDS 767 work like a charm?ricardo

Guest D17S

Makes sense, as everything is trying to hook back up at the same moment. We're getting better about watching the FMAs, then understanding the significance of a blank, far left FMA. That

Guest 744nut

"Ooops.. That sounded kind of insulting didn't it?"It sounded more like a "slip of the tongue" of somebody who worked very hard the last couple of ........ :-) No problems regardsTon

Sam-A timing delay is a pretty simplistic solution. You think we didn't try it? ;-)You guys forget that we fly the airplane too- and we agrresively go after nuisances like this. If a solution becomes available- we'll implement it. The solutions we've found thus far have side effects that are worse than the problem.Thanks for the suggestion, tho-

Ricardo-Actually- that isn't a factual statement. More than half the time i reload saved flights in the 767, the entire A/P drops into a coma and has to be disco'd and reset.I'm don't particularly see that as a major hassle... The sim loads- I reset things- and off I go.Now- just on the outside chance that you are wondering if I might get baited into an LDS vs. PMDG conversation- I must tell you that it won't happen. The only people who get parochial about PMDG/LDS are some users who apparently feel that such "sim based" allegiance is enriching or valuable... I happen to think it's quite silly. (Are Coke drinkers more enriched than Pepsi drinkers? How about Chevy vs. Ford drivers? I think not....)Wade and I chat regularly- and we are both a bit baffled by such divisions- given their complete lack of value...So- yes, I use both- and I enjoy both. That's the point of the hobby, after all.

>Ricardo->>Actually- that isn't a factual statement. More than half the>time i reload saved flights in the 767, the entire A/P drops>into a coma and has to be disco'd and reset.>>I'm don't particularly see that as a major hassle... The sim>loads- I reset things- and off I go.>>Now- just on the outside chance that you are wondering if I>might get baited into an LDS vs. PMDG conversation- I must>tell you that it won't happen. The only people who get>parochial about PMDG/LDS are some users who apparently feel>that such "sim based" allegiance is enriching or valuable... >I happen to think it's quite silly. (Are Coke drinkers more>enriched than Pepsi drinkers? How about Chevy vs. Ford>drivers? I think not....)>>Wade and I chat regularly- and we are both a bit baffled by>such divisions- given their complete lack of value...>>So- yes, I use both- and I enjoy both. That's the point of>the hobby, after all. >>BINGO!!!!We have a winner. ANY high end sim is a beautiful thing :D Scott

Kendall S Mann

Still Telling Pilots Where To Go!!

Guest 744nut

"An AT that will not hook up from a saved flight is a recipe for frustration for our newly minted FOs."Not only for the new minted FO

Guest D17S

"Gents-Let me jump in here with a bit of official knowledge:1) The autothrottle is not broken.2) The autothrottle is not buggy.Those who have posted either of the above in this or the related thread may not entirely understand how the system is working and why it is dropping offline during reloads."Sorry. Since this feature is clearly not broken or buggy, just thought we simply hadn't figured it out yet and could use an imbedded, remedial workaround . . . just as a helpful gesture for we less competent new guys struggling with the complexities of this very real simulation. But as your second post describes . . . thank for trying to fix it, anyway.