Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

Sufficient runway length at destination?

Guest cliffie1931

Does the FMC advise whether there is sufficient length of runway at the destination airport? I ask this question as I'm never sure what degree of automatic braking I should be selecting.Cliff

Cliff, I believe the navdata in the FMC will only show runways with sufficient length. The ND will display the same in regards to alt. airports etc.- Joe

Guest Matthias1975

You should try to get information about your destination airport when doing your flightplanning. This is the safest way IMHO.The FMC shows the lenght of the selected rwy but AFAIK it does not advise whether there is enough lenght or not.

A rule of thumb - landings (under normal conditions when arriving at your planed destination) always require less runway than takeoffs - all conditions being equal. I presume that you are landing in a fairly light aircraft (most fuel gone) in order to discharge your cargo, refuel, load cargo (people or whatever) and take off again. I hope that conclusions are pretty obvious.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest cliffie1931

Your assumptions are correct but I'm still in a quandry about what setting to select for the autobrakes. I normally set it at 2.On the other hand I sometimes think that pilots pull that setting out of their ears. Sometimes the run on landing is landing seems reasonable, sometimes it seems as if the aircraft stops on the proverbial penny.Cliff

Guest Jacob Lee

I think the problem of what autobrake to set is based on a bunch of factors. If ATC allows you to do a full roll-out (go to the end of the runway), and depending on the runway length, you could set autobrakes at 1 or 0. For me, the autobrake I set depends on the conditions and runway length.

There are airways, e.g. ATLAS AIR, which instruct their pilots to use allways at least autobrake 3.

Guest wisborg

Personally I usually use* 1 if it's a long runway (> 10000 ft) equipped with ILS and I get a relatively long time on the glide slope.* 2 for shorter runways or with not as easy an approach.* 3 or higher for other combinations.Also if I feel tired I tend to put the autobreak a notch higher since I know that there's a greater risk of a late touchdown./ Jesper

Guest cliffie1931

Thanks Jesper. Those looks like useful principles to go by.Cliff

Guest topcat

Hello Cliff,you could try my FREE take-off (and landing) performance calculation tool (TOPCAT). It also includes maximum allowed landing weight (MLW) and autobrake stopping distances under various conditions.Best Regards,Christian GrillTOPCAThttp://topcat.ofplan.net

Guest cliffie1931

Thanks Christian. Well done!Cliff

Guest morvious

It is different for me.When I fly, and I know if there is a plane behind me, I ask ATC if there is enough room for a roll out, if not, I select 2 or 3 depending on the situation (Weather, runway length, availible taxiways to vacate at etc etc).When there is no traffic behind, I always select 1 or nothing, to have a gentle roll out, and to spare some disk brakes ;)Never had an emergency, so 4, 5 and Max are a little dusty :).

Guest JTH

Could anyone tell me the minimum takeoff and landing runway lengths for the 744? Thanks a lot!