Sign in to follow this  
Guest simfan

PMDG 747-400 strange clicking sound

Guest simfan

I have noticed a fast clicking sound when using my 747 queen of the skies. I tried uninstalling then reinstalling my 737ng 600 through to 900 packages, then my 747, all in the correct order, but it still persists. I read the post by aadaniels concerning his strange sound using the 747 during flight, this sound seems to be different. I can hear it better when the engines are shut down & also on my end flight screen. My 737s are ok.

Guest Matthias1975

Nameless,what you describe is the STANDBY ALTIMETER SOUND!

Guest Hawkeyeted

Yup...it's supposed to!Thats the IFF Mode-C encoding system on the altimeters.

"Thats the IFF Mode-C encoding system on the altimeters.LOL... hope that was meant to be a joke?Q>P.S. To the original poster... It is a mechanical vibrator used to overcome friction in the Standby Altimeter (it still has old-fashioned mechanical cogs/wheels inside). The Standby Altimeter has no relationship to the "IFF" (ATC) system on the 744.

Guest Hawkeyeted

>LOL... hope that was meant to be a joke?:( How'd ya guess?

Guest simfan

Thankyou all for your help. Is it normal for the encoding system to be heard outside the aircraft? Does'nt seem right some how.

"Is it normal for the encoding system to be heard outside the aircraft?"Only if the Voice Recorder Remote Microphone audio is fed through the Ground Call Speaker (and the Nose Gear is down).Cheers.Q>P.S. Yes, I am joking :(

Guest simfan

:-lol Think i'm being a bit fussy, outstanding products, we are very lucky to have PMDG. Now, those books could do with being moved, hmm.....