Sign in to follow this  
Guest airspace

Capt. Randazzo : - real world airplane.

Guest airspace

I read that Capt. Randazzo is a real world captain and just was kinda interested to know what airplane he fly every day, and are they always in the US or international flights? any other airplanes as well as the Jetstream 41 turboprop? i have the 737-800 model on cd and really like it and hope to get the 747 as well.Darren:-)

Guest airspace

ah well perhaps the captain didn't see the thread or he is busy flying in the real world, maybe another time, always nice to hear from a real world driver.:(

Fair question. It is my understanding that Robert moved to Reno, Nevada (one of my favorite spots, spent a night in one of their hospitals recently after a skiing injury). I also wonder how much this change of address impacted his flying careeer. What airline he flies for, what aircraft? I am having hard time finding out if there are any commuter airlines flying out of Reno that utilize turboprop aircraft - something similar to the Jetstream 41 RR used to fly. Or perhaps he upgraded to jets? Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gifhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest airspace

oh right, hope it is okay to bump this one up just one more time, may be it will be seen this weekend, i'm really interested to know what airplanes RSR is 'type-rated' on as i am sure i read on here it was 5.is one a 737?Cheers,Darren

Guest benhoffman

Well ... the uniform he's pictured wearing does look suspiciously like the one worn by United Airlines flight officers :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAIf it looks suspicously like- that would be because it isn't. ;-)I spent a number of years at UAL in management before leaving to take a flying position at Atlantic Coast Airlines, the UAX feeder in Washington, DC. As some of you might know- ACA divorced itself from the UAX program 2 years ago, and subsequently proved how hard it is to make money without a good business plan in the airline business. All of us were laid off and the airline shut down in early January.I've been in the airline business for 18 years- and most of that time has been spent travelling- so I'm currently taking my time before returning to flying full time. I'm looking to find a position at a company like Evergreen/Atlas/One of the many international carriers that operate the -400 with US crews. It's rather nice sleeping in one's own bed at night- and since Marisa and I are expecting a baby in September- I might just wait until next year before looking too hard for work. :-)I'm typed in both the JetStream 31/32 and the Jetsream 41, as well as the 757 and 767. I'm currently trying to find time in my calendar to go to Alteon for a 747-400 type rating. I figure I've spent enough time in the sim and I know enough about the airplane that completing the type course shouldn't be too hard, right? ;-) In the mean time, nearly all of my energy is focused on PMDG... So that means good things for all of us- and my flying is split between a 1945 SNJ6 and a Twin Commander....I was supposed to pick Lefteris up in the TC last summer- but suffered an uncontained engine failure with the airplane that morning- made for an exciting time. Later that week I was going to take him flying over the desert- and had a hydraulic lock on the bottom cylinder on the PW1360 that powers the SNJ, so we couldn't even get it started.... (Consider that a sign from heaven? who knows...LOL)Next time he comes back here I have to make it up to him now. :-)If any PMDG fans are going to be near Truckee, California on May9/10 I may take the SNJ there for the EAA "Aluminum Overcast" visit that is scheduled.... No promises- but I just might. :-)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

>and since Marisa and I are expecting a baby in September- Congrats on the upcoming baby!!>If any PMDG fans are going to be near Truckee, California on>May9/10 I may take the SNJ there for the EAA "Aluminum>Overcast" visit that is scheduled.... No promises- but I just>might. :-)Rob, I just might be in Truckee on those days. I was supposed to be there anyway and May 9/10 sounds as good to me as any other day. Could you please keep me posted on your plans. I am not sure what the EAA "Aluminum Overcast" is but I would be thrilled meeting you in person and perhaps touch some "aluminum" too. I love Truckee airport.Michael J.

MJ-Okay- you have a deal. I'll keep you posted. (It's looking pretty good that i'll be there... I mean.... it involves airplanes, after all!)Aluminum Overcast is EAA's restored B-17 (i think she's a G model) aboard which they they offer familiarization rides. Great old airplane....Truckee airport is great- during the winter. During summer that density altitude really makes you pay attention, especially given that there is rising terrain on 3 sides.....Most likely I'll be there... but as I said- I'll let you know for certain!

>Okay- you have a deal. Fantastic!>Aluminum Overcast is EAA's restored B-17 Yes, and I just verified this airplane will be in "my" place - Moffett Federal Airport on April 28-30 as part of its tour. I work just 100 yards beyond the runway's fence.Michael J.

That sounds like a load of fun. Now Robert, don't take this as I think you're old or anything but my grandfather flew SNJ's during the war. Got shot down twice in the pacific. I'm pretty sure you're not anywhere close to how old he would have been...lol.Take some pics for me. Good luck with the old bird.P.S. An uncontained engine failure??? What the heck happened?

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Jeff-Well, the short version is that the engine builder had used a sylicone sealant within the engine when it was built in 2004. The use of sylicon in within an engine is a no-no, as eventually it emulsifies and shows up in the oil system.I had flown the airplane down to Long Beach to spend some research time in the MD11 sim with Bill Grabowski, and on the flight down I noticed a minor temperature variance between the two engines. A routine check turned up nothing (engines often run slightly different temps- but this airplane and I don't really know each other well yet- so I had it looked at...) On the return leg, right before top-of-descent I noticed a loss of power on the right engine, so we turned her over to maintenance for a closer inspection.The mechs did what mechs do (comprised mostly of standing around drinking coffee- eating sugared snacks and poking fun of us pilots..) and when it came time to test fly the airplane again- I was the obvious choice since I knew what i was looking for. I had no problems with the airplane during the test flight, and decided to spend some loiter time up at 17,500 enjoying the beautiful view of Lake Tahoe, since Lefteris wasn't due in for another 3hrs and I had some time to kill. (Besides- nobody would question why I stayed up and played since they thought I was test flying, right? hahahaha)About 10 minutes before I was going to start down- I was jotting down another set of performance numbers for the data log- when i noticed a very slight change in oil temp on the right side. I watched it- and in the span of less time than it takes to read this sentence- the temp started moving more rapidly and the right engine lost power.At first I thought it was just a partial power loss, but after running the QRH for power loss on the right engine- it was pretty obvious that the engine had quite outright. I considered a relight- but since I didn't really know the nature of the failure I elected to leave well enough alone- and commenced with the Engine Failure QRH.Problem was, the prop wouldn't feather. :-)So I continued to loiter- and called my mech on the ground below and filled him in with my predicament. They way you can tell a good mech from a great mech- is that a good mech sounds surprised when you tell him that his engine failed. A GREAT mech takes it personally, asks you to double check (Because you are just a dumb pilot) then takes it as a personal insult that the machinery has let his reputation down. Poor guy- I actually felt bad!I took a bit more time to run the engine failure checklist, and was eventually able to get the prop feathered- and shot a standard VFR approach to a Flaps 20 landing. (Other guys in the pattern were very cool about the fact that I wanted to change the landing runway on the fly....)When we opened up the cowling, I think we were all pretty astounded by the level of damage. The engine was recognizable primarily because of the wires and tubing- but the core itself was a complete disaster and the cowling was full of metal and oil (most of it from when i feathered the prop and it dumped inside the shattered engine....)In the end- the overhaul facility found that the entire oil distribution system had become clogged with globs and strings of sylicone sealant. You can imagine my frustration.In the end all went precisely as it should gone because I've had some very fine training pilots in my career- and they- plus the crewmembers I've flown with and the crews who worked for me as a Chief Pilot have all contributed small pieces to my general fund of knowledge.When you find yourself in a sick airplane the outcome should never be in doubt. You gotta take your time, examine your plan, make adjustments and take your time.Gotta love aviation!

Hmm, sounds like an interesting experiance Robert!The most I have had to deal with is a total electrical failure half way between Main Land Australia and Kangaroo Island.

Cheers,
Ryan

Professional Coffee Drinker/BAe146 Driver
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer

>I'm looking to>find a position at a company like Evergreen/Atlas/One of the>many international carriers that operate the -400 with US>crews. It's rather nice sleeping in one's own bed at night->and since Marisa and I are expecting a baby in September- I>might just wait until next year before looking too hard for>work. :-)Congrats to you both Robert! If you guys are ever in Ireland, the drinks are on me :) About that 747-400 type rating, would an airline like Atlas pay to send you on that course with the idea to transfer you to the -400 fleet or would you have to complete the course yourself and then apply?

Guest 102301636

Paul,My experience has been that airlines have moved away from sponsored training in general, some will reimburse you if you qualify and they want to take you on but for the most part you pay the full cost yourself up front in the hope of being taken on.Type ratings can cost up to