Sign in to follow this  
Guest airspace

Capt. Randazzo : - real world airplane.

Robert,Congrats on the Baby. I hope you hate sleep :-)Bummer about IDE. We really loved working with you guys!Scott

Kendall S Mann

Still Telling Pilots Where To Go!!

Holy smokes, ouch! I'm glad you had the altitude, that's for sure. That's a lesson in itself.Certainly sorry to hear about the engine. What an expensive lesson to learn.The main thing is you made it back ok.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Scott-Thanks. ACA was a fun company for whom to work. Unfortunately it suffered from "small corporate growth syndrome." There was a small core of employees were with the airline when it was being run out of the back of a car in a parking lot someplace (not really- but you know what i mean...) and since the core group of original employees was so small- they were all very familiar to each other.As the company grew and prospered this core group began promoting itself into positions that had nice titles. Late in ACA's history, a few of us were invited into this inner sanctum- but it was quickly obvious that the "inner core" was more interested the protection of their fifedoms than they were in expansion of capabilities and new thinking in the ranks.While under the umbrella of UAL, there was no real danger- but once ACA stepped out as Independence Air- what they really needed were experienced managers who knew how to run an airline as a carnivorous machine rather than a happy social club.In the end, most of us who had experience at other airlines could see the writing on the wall. They deployed A320s into saturated florida markets in the middle of winter. (Rule of thumb: You can't make money going to florida in winter...) Then, rather than build up a strong market presence in key markets over time, they ran 1-3 flights a day in 5 transcon markets at odd times of day. (Rule of thumb: You have to have a strong market presence at the time of day customers want to travel...)In the end- the "key decision makers" had to face the economic reality of the fact that they needed more experience than they alone could provide.It was a sad demise for a great workplace. I had more fun working for ACA than I could possibly recount. I made some great life-long friends, and I had the honor of associating with some of the finest professionals I've ever met.Unfortunately- it's a winner take all business- and you need to promote people based upon capability rather than longevity....Sad, sad, sad.(Wow- this thread is almost cathartic isn't it? HAHAHAH)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest acebrando1

For those who are interested. I think it is boiling down to this in the regional airline world. Republic Airways is becoming the most sought after regional airline in the states. They currently fly for UAL and Delta, the recent skuttlebutt (sp.) that NWA is also looking into Republic. These major carriers love Republic because of the new Emb-170's. Their fuel consumption is better than anything else out there in that particular class, not to mention the E-Jets range and passenger comfortability. You see right now Republic/Shuttle America is the only airline in the US that is buying these new jets from Embraer almost entirely with cash in hand. Why are they able to do this? Because they are owned by Wexford Aviation (a subsidiary of Wexford Holding, LLC) out of FLA. Wexford is a huge, multi-billion dollar hedge fund operator, and they own alot of other assests as well. I believe they own a big chunk of Frontier as well. Chautauqua Airines is also a subsidiary of Republic Airways Holdings as well. The fact is Republic is slowly taking jobs aways from 737 and some 757 drivers that work at UAL.My good friend who is a captain with Republic (technically Shuttle America) will pull up to the gate at ORD and look over at the 73 or 75 parked next to him and the UAL pilots will give him the finger amoung other jestures. They even deny jump seating rights to Republic and Shuttle America pilots at their own discretion. Which is against company policy and agreements set by company execs.Jet Blue is even starting to really mess up their Emb-195 program. Jetblue, can't have to much of a good thing.That's just my two cents about what is going on with this transformation age we live in. Brandon

Guest ClearedDirect

"In the end, most of us who had experience at other airlines could see the writing on the wall. They deployed A320s into saturated florida markets in the middle of winter."Thought IDE had A319's???Were you typed on the CRJ as well? Didnt see it listed above.Just curious. Friend of mine got laid off before they went under.I enjoyed IDE, employees really seemed to try harder than most.Thanks!GeneKMCO

MJ-That is the $64,000 question. I'm guessing yes. UAL put the screws to ACA management badly after 2001. They had good reason to- ACA was posting massive profits for a regional at a time when UAL was bleeding white.(But that isn't ACA's fault- who thought that "Fee for Departures" was a good idea? It was a guaranteed windfall for a regional- and a guaranteed loser for the parent carrier... but UAL has never been known for it's ability to understand that the airline business is cyclical- and since they were signing that contract during a cash-fat period- they never worried about the eventual down cycle... One time I was made to fly an empty J41 to White Plains in the middle of the night- then turned around and flew it home empty... just to ensure that UAL had to pay us for the departure.... Is that sane?)I was obviously not privvy to any numbers- but given the profit margin's ACA was enjoying- I think there was plenty of wiggle room for ACA to continue making a profit during UAL's downturn. Honestly I think the move to Independence Air was well timed, well thought out and exceptionally poorly executed. The folks responsible for route planning actually thought that they could just overlay the old UAX network with a new loc cost carrier and it would all work wonderfully...What is amazing to me is that nobody in ACA management seemed to recall that after 9-11, ACA commenced operations 3 days before UAL did- and our airplanes were completely empty. In other words- people weren't flying on us just to travel between Binghamton NY and Charleston, WV. They were connecting to transcon and international and mid-con markets that Independence wouldn't serve...Yet- for some foolhardy reason, they felt that it was important to serve second and third tier air makets with as many as 10-12 CRJs a day. When the load factors came in at 50% (I had predicted 45%) they were amazed and astounded- and attributed it to "people need to get used to who we are."It was rediculous. I had the opportunity to visit with some of my compatriots from management after I had left Chief Piloting- and it was amazing to me how under-informed they were about the realities of the Washington DC centric market. Perhaps my perspective was different because I had worked in corporate sales and operations management for UAL in DC- so i knew the market- but I would have thought that IDE would have market data and consultants....Then again, that original core of employees who had tossed bags and punched tickets for ACA way back in the beginning were all sitting in cushy senior management positions- and that i know of not many of them had done much more than run a United Express operation. So perhaps there wasn't very good market data or consultants.In the end- the whole house of cards folded. The shame is that the product Independence was pushing was 10 fold better than the competition. The people really gave a ####- and wanted the company to succeed. But you just can't make money shuttling people between Albany and Charlotte unless you also have some heavy hitting high density lift as well.I feel terribly for the guys and gals that supported us pilots all those years at ACA. They worked their hearts out to keep the airline flying- and in the end they all wound up with dust.So that's my analysis- for what it is worth. ;-)Airlines: A fun environment in which to work- but a lousy way to make a living.(Anyone ever think we aren't a serious and experienced group of blokes here at PMDG? Yeah- we've been around a bit...)

Gene-Actually- yes- A319s- but there were some 320s in the order mix. I get lazy and call them all A320s.... LOL.... No- I never flew the Barbie Jet. I enjoyed my seniority on the J41.... schedule was far more important to me than the equipment I flew- in spite of the ribbing I took from some of my buddies. heheheheh

The Barbie Jet...ROFL. I thought I was bad for calling them baby busses or scarebusses...hehe.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

While you were managing ast UAL did UAL Captain Mike Ray of sim book 700 fame fall under your umbrella?Just curious if you knew him.

Robert,Better not wait to long to get back into flying. The way I hear it, if the union at Delta gave away anything above 70 seats on the SCOPE clause in their contract..most of them are going to vote no on the TA. Rumor has it at 90 seats..ala..embraer 170,175's that some believe Delta wants to use to replace some mainline 732, md80 routes.If they vote no, the TA gets thrown out and the arbitration panel will likely throw out the contract thus leading to a strike which equals lots of pilots looking for work!By the by, forget about Atlas and/or Polar. Polar announced that they are laying off about 150 or so 742 drivers and FE's. Apparently they are parking all of their classic fleet in the desert by July. Atlas is transferring one of their 744F's over to Polar due to the surplus of their hired crews. If you want to fly 744's, you should try Cathay or Emirates..they are hiring although Emirates flies only the 744F (but then you probably knew that!)Eric

Eric 

Just out of curiosity, Robert... Were there any former Presidential Airways people still around at ACA when you joined? If so, that would explain a lot...Regards,Walter MeierKPDXFormerly UAL, Presidential...

Walter Meier

Walter-I think there was a mix... Presidential, WestAir and the first iteration of Air Wiskey. ;-)Neptism kills.

Mike? Heck No. Mike was up in the stratosphere while I was stuck behind a desk shuffling paper. :-)I had the pleasure of many email exchanges with Mike back when PMDG first launched our airliner simulations back in 1999. We fell out of touch, unfortunately.Mike is good people- like most of old time UAL drivers....

Erik-We have many many things going on at PMDG right now- so I'm going to wait out the market for now- and spend the time supporting Marisa and the new baby.Besides- I haven't had to get up at 4AM in some time... you can't put a price on that. ;-)I've been watching the Delta fiasco. It is looking ugly- but I'm betting they don't vote the TA down. The price is far too high... I think they'll approve it by a slim margin- and be back in the same bind again when oil hits $90 a barrel....Time to grab a shovel and a power drill and start looking around the back yard for oil....(Thanks for watching out for me!)