Sign in to follow this  
Check_Airman

2 questions: System perf and 744 Feature

Hi all,I'm running the latest version of the pax queen. However I notice that on just about every "real" flight (full fmc route etc, not just circuits), I get a windows message some time before takeoff saying that i'm low on virtual memory. That happens with or without scenery.Why is it that the displays do not "blink" whne power sources are changed? Is this how the real plane behaves, or just something PMDG has not implemented?Windows XP home SP23.2Ghz, 1.25GB RAMGeforce 6800Ultra 256MBMy pagefile max and min are 768 and 384 MBAny Ideas?

Mr Any Ideas,Please take a moment to read the forum rules. You need to sign your posts with your name. Thank you.You pagefile seems to be a bit small compared to your amount of RAM. Best practice used to be the pagefile size at 1.5 times the amount of RAM installed.The 'blink' of the DUs can only be seen on the CRT version and is as far as I remember implemented. But if you have opted for the LCD variant you should not see this 'blink'.Hope it helps,

Thanks 4 the idea.Although I was indeed using the LCD's, I switched to the CRT's and still no blinks.Paul

"Why is it that the displays do not "blink" whne power sources are changed? Is this how the real plane behaves, or just something PMDG has not implemented?"The 744 electrical system is fitted with a no-break power transfer system. There are very few situations where the screens blink in real life. This aircraft is not like, say, a B767. On the 744, the generators are parallelled with each other and when switching to different sources (APU or EXT), the aircraft puts different sources on-line _at the same time_ for a few milliseconds. This prevents disruption to the electrical supply of things like computers, which are susceptible to power glitches.BTW, if you are starting the APU using Battery power only... you will see a very large blink... just like the real aircraft.Cheers.Q>

>BTW, if you are starting the APU using Battery power only...>you will see a very large blink... just like the real>aircraft.Thanks Ian,That was the 'blink' I was thinking of. I knew it was there somewhere! :-)Cheers,

Guest andyman

I have a question for 767 gurus. On the LDS 767, if i turn off both AC generators, the fmc loses everything that you program into it. I was on a NWA 757 and just before pushback, all cabin lights, sounds, and any other clues to notify you that AC was on, Just went off. We were pushing back without AC! Fortunately, after about 5 seconds everything lit back up and the pilots started starting the engines.Would the pilots have to reprogram the FMC do to this power glitch on a 757?

The FMC has a memory which will hold this kind of information for a short period of time without power. Try it in LDS1.... I recall it was programmed like this.Some types of data take longer than others to disappear.Momentary power loss in the cabin is normal on aircraft without no-break power transfer logic. Cheers.Q>

Guest andyman

It was about a good 20 seconds though. Not 5 seconds.

Sounds like someone disconnected ground power before the APU was brought online :(Unfortunately, there isn't a great deal of information to go on here. Cheers.Q>

>My pagefile max and min are 768 and 384 MBI have a similar spec PC and previously had my pagefile set to 500-800MB. After I installed the 747 pax version I used the Windows Task Manager to check the memeory usage (with the FMC actively following a route) and have since increased my page file to 500-900MB. The greatest anticipated size I have seen is about 870MB.If you use the 747F (I don't have it) then it might be worth checking again the page file usage as judging by many peoples graphics experiences, it's system requirements might be greater thatn the 747 pax.

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

>>... increased my page file to 500-900MB. The greatest anticipated size I have seen is about 870MB.Just in case this is useful to anyone, I'm now using a page file size of 500-1100MB as the largest anticipated size I've seen in Windows Task Manager is 1.03GB.I don't know if it increased because I was spanning the display over two monitors???Anyway the virtual cockpit is AWESOME when spanned across dsiplays.

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

Regarding the page file - I've really found that it's best to just leave it to the Windows managed setting that will scale it up if it needs more...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com