Sign in to follow this  

Instant Replays?

Does anyone know if there is a way to save instant replays. I

Eric Thornton

Unfortunately there isn't any way to save instant replays. You can save "flight videos" but you'll find that there are limitations to its capabilities.

You're right, of course, but I have given some thought about this and it should be possible for a third party to (more or less) easily program this.Forget for a moment that FSUIPC probably provides this as well, the MS SDK Netpipes (recently released) looks like it not only provides all of this but even gives a sample that essentially does this. From the MS web site:"This SDK describes Netpipes.exe, a utility that opens a data stream to and from instances of Flight Simulator that allows you to capture an aircraft's position, velocity, and other information about the simulation and play it back in another application or instance of Flight Simulator. You can use the Netpipes technique to capture data for later analysis or playback and to drive an external application in real-time. "and then..."The Netpipes.exe example in this SDK provides sample code for both collecting data and playing it back in real time to drive views of the same flight on two computers. Since this example passes data saved by one instance of Flight Simulator into another instance, no data stream processing or parsing is presented."So it looks as if all that would be needed to do is to save the data in the same to some hard disk file, and cannibalize the code slightly to play it back on demand. All in all, about an afternoon's worth of work for a good C++ programmer.I've toyed with the idea of tackling this but, quite frankly, as soon as I get home the last thing in the world I want to do is program any more (since that's my job). If I have any free time at all I prefer to fly, or do 3D graphics, or anything else that's fun. But I do know there are other programmers lurking around here that want a project, so perhaps if enough voices say this would be a thing they'd want the programmers could consider it.The nice thing about this (assuming I'm thinking right about it) is you should be able to program something that can be activated anytime, unlike making a flight video (which is something you have to set up in advance). So you could decide that perfect landing is something you need to save, you fire up this "Save Visual Flight" program and while you do a replay it captures all you replay. Then again, it may just be that I haven't woken up yet sufficiently and don't know what I'm talking about. At some point if no programmer picks up the gauntlet I may have a run at it (I'm just an *old* man who feels so very tired by the time he gets home...)

IMHO if it was possible to save instant replays it would be very popular. Being able to capture your greatest moments in Flight Simulator and sharing it with your friends! The video feature is OK but you have to set it up in advance. Some of my greatest moments in FS, there was no way I could have foreseen that experience. Lost for eternity. It

Eric Thornton

>It would be great if we could save these replays as .MPEG