Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Why does IE eat up my "System Resources" this way?

When I boot up and use ENDITALL at the start of any PC session, I have 91%-94% system resources and 98% GDI resources. But after using IE and then closing IE down fully, the resource figure is usually around 81-83% max. Sometimes, after a massive IE session with tons of dowloads, the resources drop to 75-77%. I cannot increase them without rebooting the PC.Is this the so-called "RAM leak"? Is there a cure or fix for it?Thanks!JS

JS, IE is a resource intensive application, as is many programs out there. I like Musicmatch because I haven't found anything that does as much as it does as well as it does, but it really eats up system resources and it requires me to reboot more often than if I didn't use it.Windows almost never gets back all the resources that an application uses even when it is closed. So if you leave your computer on all the time and use enough of the large applications, you can expect your resources to continue going down and you'll never get back to your original amount without a reboot. This is why it is always advisable to give your computer a fresh reboot before starting up your favorite sim.Bottom line, I don't know if you could really refer to it as a memory-leak. More like resources not being efficiently returned to be used by other programs.

Unfortunately this is the reality of today's software and today's operating systems. The code is so large and complex that it has become extremely difficult or even impossible to fix some memory leaks. Some of the leaks can be attributed to the software you are running, while others can be attributed to the operating system. I'm sure you won't have the exact same amount of free memory available to you after running FS2002 compared to what you had just before.As far as your problems with IE, keep in mind that it also might not necessarily be IE that's at fault, per se. There could be a memory-leaking plug-in of some sort that isn't freeing up memory every time you close down IE.

Guest RSmith

Additional question, if I may......I use Real Weather d/l'd via IE. I always start a sim session with a fresh reboot. How can I assure that the d/l'd real weather can be pulled and "saved" - if - I have to close everything down after I actually download, via IE, - and then have to start up again to get my system resources back up ??? Won't I lose the d/l'd weather ? .... I thought the weather - if rebooted / restarted will default back to the weather saved in the "start-up" saved flight ?Good info. & post, Thanks.Ron

In addition to the other answers posted here....Do not be too concerned with watching system resources, unless they consistently drop under 50 pct before running 2k2.... The system resource figure does not count used RAM, nor does it count cpu load. These resources are simply a fixed (and rather small area) in RAM Windows holds aside for housekeeping--and that's exactly how I teach it in my Windows support courses. Some applications do not release resources, should they be called again later (MS Office is another, in addition to IE). But even if your resources were 50 percent, you'd never notice anything in 2k2. Truth is, you can have 50 percent resources and 90 percent of your RAM free...This brings to light something about End-it-all that I've coached people about. By letting apps load and killing them with end-it-all, you may cause enough fragmentation in your memory that 2k2 performance will still suffer. Memory can be fragmented, just like a HD can. I always recommend learning how to prevent the programs from loading in the first place--that is the only thing that defines a pristine system for me. Some of the more nasty applets actually rewrite system hooks in RAM--so that the applet may be gone, but the "hook" is still there. Printscreen utilities do this a lot.Hope this helps...-John