Sign in to follow this  
Ed Callan

Autoland`

Hello All Is there an autoland capability on the B737NG/800/900....If so where in the manuals is it?....thanx in advance

Yes the 737NG as autoland capability. I don't remember where it is in the manuals. But, it's very well gone over in Timothy Metzinger's Advanced tutorial for the PMDG 737NG. The tutorial is not easy to find on-line anymore but if you send me an e-mail I can provide you with a link to download a copy.aviator47@comcast.net

Dave Paige

Simple conditions for it - both radios tuned to the ILS, OBS course entered on the MCP. Both Autopilot CMDs engaged before 1500 feet radio alt.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

737NG Autoland.An Autoland is a Dual Channel Approach.-Tune both NAV to ILS frequency -Set course selector to ILS course-Configure to flaps 5, bug 5 to intercept ILS course-On a intercept heading when cleared for the approach push APP, verify VOR/LOC and GS armed on the FMA-Engage the second autopilot-Single CH appears when LOC intercepts, verify VOR/LOC capture/engage on FMA, APP light goes out-At glide slope intercept, finish configuring airplane for landingand set MAP altitude in the MCP-ILS deviation test after capturing LOC and GS at about 1500 feet agl (Amber flashing LOC and GS diamonds on the ADI's)-CMD appears now and FLARE arms in white on FMA.-800 feet agl second autopilot must be selected by now-500 feet agl flare armed callout by PNF-400 feet agl slight nose up trim added by autopilot-350 feet agl if flare not armed, disengage both autopilots and go around-At 100 feet above RA, FO calls out "Approaching Minimums"-At RA minimums with suitable visual reference Captain responds with "Landing" or no suitalbe visual reference Captain responds with "Go-Around". If Go-Around, push TO/GA for Dual Autopilot Go-Around-50 feet agl autopilot begins flare, Flare engages green on FMA-27 feet agl thrust levers retard-At touchdown auto throttle disengages in 2 seconds -Autopilot must be manually disengaged -Captain flys nose gear onto the runway-Rollout completedFloyd

Floyd: Very nice brief. I've been approaching FAF with flaps 15 then set landing flaps and Vref at GS intercept... I notice you callout flaps 5 instead. Is this difference a real issue?2d question: When landing CATII/III does landing/goaround decision point occur at touchdown if wx is minima but RVR is okay for the approach? I've always wondered how this works.Thanks.

Dan Downs KCRP

Yes. Use flaps 5 for intercepting the LOC within a reasonable distance from the FAF. This has always been a standard 737 approach configuration. In this configuration, as the GS comes alive, select gear down and flaps 15. Time the remaining flap extension so as to be at your landing flaps when the GS captures. In the real 737NG, with flaps 15 set the gear horn will sound continuously until the gear is extended. The gear horn isn't modeled in the PMDG 737. The decision point for go-around or landing occurs at RA (Radar Altimeter). If the runway is in view, land. If the runway is not in view at RA push the TO/GA button and start the Dual autopilot go-around. Usually you'll have a good idea before this point whether or not you'll be able to land. By the way, for more realism, set the visibility on your SIM to 1/8 of a mile for CAT IIIa approaches.For a CAT II/IIIa use RVR for minimums only. Usually the 737NG CAT II minimums are 100 feet RA and 1200 feet RVR or approach plate RA and RVR, which ever is higher. The 737 is only authorized CAT IIIa, not b or c. CAT IIIa minimums are 50 feet RA and RVR 700 feet or what ever your airlines Ops Specs authorizes.Floyd

I've been slowing down too early... must've been lucky I haven't been run over. Thanks.Regarding CATIIIa, the KHOU ILS4 for example, provides RVR 07 minima but doesn't provide RA... is the 50-ft you mention due to crew & aircraft certification rather than the design of the approach itself? Makes sense if so.That must be a real rush, that puts the aircraft past the lights and over the threshold before you see the runway... the lowest I've ever gone is 200-1/4 (my legal limit), which put me over the approach lights before I saw 'em. That's hard to describe to someone who hasn't done it.

Dan Downs KCRP