Sign in to follow this  
Guest addonzealot

The 747 IDG switches.

Guest addonzealot

Hello Gentlemen,Sometime ago during a flight I found that the IDG drive switches could not be reset once they were pressed. As I understand it, in the real 747 when one of these switches are deactivated for any reason, ground crew personnel must inspect and reset the drives.On page 12 of the 747 Queen of The Skies manual it is clearly explained how to reset the IDG switches. The problem is that the IDGs do not reset as explained in the manual. I also noticed that within the PMDG/options/various menu directory the reset button for the IDGs is labeled EDG. When I push the EDG button my IDG switches will not reset.Please understand that I am NOT complaining. I can stir clear of the IDG switches if need be. I just want to know if its something I'm missing/doing wrong or is this a known issue. Again, this is not a complaint...I don't care if its a bug if this is the case. I just want to know what I'm doing wrong.

Mr Nameless,Please take a minute and read the forum guidelines. You need to sign your posts with your name. Thank you.I think the IDGs can be reset on ground and/or engines off only. I tried reconnecting the IDGs and succeeded with the respective engine OFF. As you said they have to be mechanically connected by mechs once disconnected. And this button would reflect that I guess. By design I'd say.Hope it helps,

The IDGs must be reset at the engine (by engineers) when the engine has stopped turning. If you have reset the IDG using the PMDG menu, and if you push the overhead DRIVE button again, you will simply disconnect the IDG again.Note that pushing the drive button or resetting the drive at inappropriate times may damage the disconnect mechanism.Hope this helps.Cheers.Q>