Sign in to follow this  

Caribbean terrain mesh for FS2002?

I've searched several libraries including the one here at AVSIM but can't find a full Caribbean terrain mesh for fs2002. The attached screenshot shows how poor the default terrain is for the island of St.Kitts (one of my favorites).On a similar note, is there an easy way to convert terrain like Bill Freeborn's "caribba.zip" that was created for fs2000 so it can be used in fs2002?

I found this over at flightsim.com:FS2000 - FS2000 SceneryFS2000 Caribbean Mesh Terrain SceneryName: caribm.zip Size: 4,320,377 Date: 03-13-2001 Downloads: 5004 FS2000 Caribbean Mesh Terrain Scenery. Covers all the caribbean sea area. Tested compatibility with St. Martin (SXM30M11.ZIP), Cuba (CUBA2K.ZIP), San Jose (COS2K30.ZIP) and San Juan (SJU2000.ZIP). Made from GTOPO30 USGS Digital Elevation Models (DEM) with FsTerrain by Martin Wright and Microsoft Terrain SDK. The GTOPO30 data have been reworked to 3.75 arc second data. By Antonio Golfari.As generally speaking, FS2000 mesh will work in FS2002, I suggest you give it a try ! It may be available at Avsim as well.

been able to login to the flightsim.com site even tho I signed up for the "free account". heh.fsfreeware.com & avsim (here) don't have caribm.zip, but I found a website that mentions specifically that it's incompatible with fs2002. I'm still willing to try, tho, if anyone has a pointer to this file!Thanks,

Guest JDH

You have to keep trying with Flightsim.com, hit F5 and OK repeatedly until you get in.Mind you, I do wonder about the "nodes busy" message, especially when I get it 20+ times at 10am UK time on a weekday.

Guest Lizardo

(that is sort of curious, isn't it? Other sites which have "# of visitors" have 4-5. This has been going on about 3-4 weeks now.)

Yes its funny you should say that, I have been trying to get some mesh scenery for the carribean for ages from Flightsim.com, have been trying for almost a month now at all times of the day and night, and havent been able to log in, In fact I have just removed Flightsim.com from my bookmarks, as I doubt I'll ever get in again. Just hope some of the talented scenery designers upload thier work to other sites, that will help boost thier traffic :-)

Actually JDH was right when he suggested hitting F5 repeatedly (or ctl-R in Netscape). I got in after about 10-15 tries and downloaded caribm.zip. I'll try it this evening & report how it went.

Guest CapHavoc

Howdy,As for a complete Caribbean mesh, no such wee beastie in 2K2 (there is the 2K version, but ain't tried it in 2K2). However, most of the bigger islands are covered: Puerto Rico (purtmv1.zip), Saint Maartin (sxm30m11.zip), Cuba (cutx2002.zip), Jamaica (Antilles1.zip which also covers Cuba, Jamaica, and Haiti)), and Saba (sabamesh.zip). All but Cuba are available from Avsim.com. The Cuba mesh is one of a 2 part scenery package and is available from TradeWind Caribbean VA. Hope this is of some small assistance.

No luck with the FS2000 caribm.zip file. I unpacked it and found 25 .bgl files in a caribscenery directory. I created a directory called CaribbeanScenery under my default fs2002scenery installation, copied the .bgl's to that new directory, created a CaribbeanTexture directory for the heckuvit also, booted fs2002, went to SceneryLibrary->AddArea, added the Caribbean directory, and saw it "compile" for a second or two. But no change to the view of St.Kitts - just like the screenshot from my original post.CapHavoc - thanks for the pointers to those other islands. Right now tho I'm obsessed with St.Kitts :)