Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Vertical navigation procedure for entering and flying a...

When I am descending in the Queen from cruise in VNAV PTH to a wp directly ahead at a lower altitude where a HOLD has been programmed, should the MCP ALT window setting match the HOLD altitude? Or can the MCP ALT be lower than the HOLD and still level the a/c off properly when arriving at the wp HOLD?Is it acceptable to fly the HOLD itself in VNAV or is some other vertical mode preferred as a matter of safe operating procedure?Jonathan

Jonathan,I try to see the MCP as my safe guard against VNAV doing something I don't want it or suspect it to do. As such I would enter any altitude clearance I have from ATC into the MCP while in VNAV. If I get instructions from ATC to enter the HOLD at FLxxx I would set them MCP to FLxxx. If the HOLD is due to congestion I would expect instructions from ATC to descend in the HOLD. It's all about the current situation I guess. If you fly without ATC or with the default FS ATC I guess it is pretty much your choice.Just two cents from an armchair test pilot. ;-)Cheers,

Thanks, Mats. I appreciate your post. It's what I think I have been working toward.Jonathan