Sign in to follow this  
victorlima01

Simultaneous Engine starts?

Which engines can be started simultaneously: 1 + 4 and 2 + 3? Or 1 +2 and 3 + 4?Also, what is the correct sequence? from 4 to 1 or the other way around?And last but not least: if I choose to leave one pack running during engine start, which one do I choose? Thanks for the replies guysBest Regards,Victor Limahttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg

Guest aarskringspier

I dont know what the real procedure is I go from out to inner. And the read the manual crap is old get a new line.

victor lima,i read on there that you should have all packs off, or one on (i usually leave pack 2 on, and 1 & 3 off). some people turn off all packs.as for sequence, the manual states that you can do 2 engine starts at a time: usually, 1 & 4, then 2 & 3 respectively.i start engine 4, then 3. after they stabalise, i start 2 and 1 simultaneously.tom

Victor,I guess this maybe airline specific but we normally start 4 3 2 1, and one at a time,unless in a hurry for some reason.(although on my sim I normally start 2 at a time).The logic with starting 4 first is you have youe engine driven hydraulic pump working for your primary brake source(sys 4)Packs, we turn 2 and 3 off,sure there`s logical reason why but a good one for me is that it supplies the flight deck with cool air!regardsJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Jon, Micahel and everyone else. Thank you for your answers. I saw that on the Virgin DVD as well although I thought I must have been remembering it wrong because for some crazy reason I thought you couldn't start two engines from the same side simultaneously. Ok, so from now on I'll just leave pack 2 on and start 4 + 1 and 3 + 2. My last question now really isn't sim-related but just a curiosity of mine: In real life can you start engines during push back to have them all spooled up to idle by the time the pushback guys are done? I've seen many real-life flights from the flight deck of a 777 but I don't recall seeing the crew ever doing this. Anyway, thanks for clearing it up for me. (BTW I know there are some airporsts such as JFK where you must start the engines at a specific point in the tarmac)Best Regards,Victor Limahttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg

Victor,Yep, virgin SOPs have changed a little since the days of that DVD so normally start one at a time,if we do have to start 2 at a time it would normally be on the same wing, eg 4+3 or 2+1. I`ve noticed MSFS tends to try and turn you when you have 2 engines on one wing started.It won`t do this in real life but when taxying with number 3 shutdown (to save fuel on taxy in) there is a definate swing you need to correct for on the tiller.Its common practice to start 4 engines during push back,most tugs can take it no problem.But a couple of years ago at LHR egll we had a company notice only alowing 2 engines to be started during the pushback as the tug was a weaker model and was being pushed backwards with 4 engines at idle.You are correct i n that several US airports have start points that you have to be towed to before starting engines,as you say JFK(I`m flying back to LHR from there tomorrow, so will be doing just that) MIA and SFO are other examples.RegardsJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

I imagine at LAX as well with those long narrow alleys at the TBIT.

Eric 

Guest cfm56

hello guys,Im a customer service rep. for El Al based out of jfk. Alot of times our planes a parked right next to Virgin atlantic's a340s and 744s. I must agree that airports like jfk having pre-located start points for engine starts. Our planes (744s and 777) normally push back to this location before starting the engines. However, just last week I remember looking at a virgin atlantic 744 push back with its number 4 engine already running, meaning they started their engines bfore the pushback commenced. Therefore im forced to say that the decision to pushback and start or start and pushback is up to the captain and atc. In a similar case runway 22 takeoffs at KLGA are rare, but I do see from time to time a nortwest 717 requesting that runway for takeoff.best regards,Gideon

Guest Foizman

tom is right, have a look at...PMDG 744 AOM, rev 1.0:(PMDG)page 11-25f: Engine Starter/Ignition SystemsThe Unofficial B744 Simulator&Checkride Procedures Manual:(Mike Ray)page 175f: Engine StartPMDG Boing 744 The Normal Procedures - Deutsches Manual(Jens-Albert Schenk)page 102ff: Enginge Start Procedureetc. etc.greets,Volker

Guest boxjockey99

GideonIn my experience this is usually because the APU is inop. In this situation you would need to have an air start unit to provide high pressure air to crank up one engine. Once you have one turning you can disconnect all the ground equipment and push back then use the running engine to do a crossbleed start on the remaining engines. I fly the B757 (formerly on the 737) so don't know procedures for 4 engine aircraft but it would explain the decision to start one on stand. Kris

Guest Agun13

>>>i start engine 4, then 3. after they stabalise, i start 2>and>>1 simultaneously.>>>>this is exactly what the crew of Virgin featured on this ITVV>video did when they were strating their engines.>>Michael J.>http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gif>http://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpgThat`s right. My old man used to start the B744 engines in the order of 4,3, 2 and 1 in that order before in the past. But I have seen I think that it was a Lufthansa B744 at Kuala Lumpur starting 3 and 4 and then 2 and 1 both in pairs a longe time ago. I guess the most you can is 2 at a time. Some start one at a time like my father`s airline Malaysia Airline and as mentioned before Virgin Atlantic.Regards,Alex G

I fly the B757 so don't know procedures for 4 engine aircraft but it would explain the decision to start one on stand.Two were started on Concorde (2+3) with the aid of ground air on stand (no APU). With two hydraulic pumps on E2 and a pump for the third system on E3, starting both inboards before push provided an opportunity to perform several pre-flight checks on the various flight control channels and systems during the push. Engines 1 and 4 were then started using bleed air off the other two engines respectively once the push was complete.

Andrew Wilson

sig_fslDeveloper.jpg