Sign in to follow this  

New Microlight uploaded to AVSIM

Hi all,I've just uploaded a reworked version of Jeridan Light's Thunderbird II Microlight with new cockpit views, real Rotax 503 sounds and true microlight flight behaveour.The physics are now very close to the real microlights I've flown. Yes, you can fly some of the two seater ones like the Quicksilvers below 30 mph and sometimes even as low as 20 mph! They would seldom exceed 80 mph though. I created the Rotax 503 sounds from recorded samples of the real thing. Those of you with actual real microlight flying experience should enjoy this one!The default panel view (without instruments) is very close to my actual real microlight forward view experience. Most of the time the only instrument I had was a small cylinder shaped see-through instrument with a disc inside giving a very crude air speed indication. This is real "seat of your pants" flying. You can clearly "feel" your speed in most types of microlights and that is what makes them fun - they are completely unsophisticated! The best way to fly this aircraft is just above the treetops and landing & taking off between the buildings. I've done this many a time for real and it sure is fun...Really, flying in this way lets you experience the scenery in a completely new way. Not that microlights cannot fly at higher altitudes - in real life I've often flown at 13 500ft and I could have climbed higher was it not for oxygen restraints. This baby will also fly at those altitudes should you wish to go there.I hope you enjoy this one as it brings back sweet memories for me every time I fly it. I've had over 600 hours of these familiar sounds from all sorts of microlights in my ears...It should show up as: "ThunderbirdII" in the library soon.Regards,Hennie

Hi all,I've discovered a neat little trick by accident which works well for the microlight:If you are in 2D panel view, press "W" twice. It will get rid of all other views and put a row of instruments only (no panel) right at the bottom of your screen.I did not know of this feature, maybe you did.Regards,Hennie