Sign in to follow this  

Round the World Challenge - Part Six - North America, W

I'm passing the baton off now, having arrived at KDMN, Deming, New Mexico.Hadn't expected to be south of the border -- my co-pilot/navigator cast a doubtful eye on me as we climbed into the Baron. "And I'm supposing we're going to cross the Atlantic by way of Cuba" he said, settled down for a long period of his usual silence.There were a lot of clouds out, far too many for me to feel comfortable with my VFR rating. But we pressed on, flying between them and the mountains (who knew there were that many mountains in Mexico?) until shortly before we reached the states. As if on cue the weather cleared and we were treated to a beautiful sunset.But we were still 30 nm outside of the airport, and so we "stretched" the VFR tules and flew in as the last rays of the sun disappeared over the horizon. Just my luck someone from the CAB was enjoying a vacation in the sleepy NM town with nothing to do but give me a citation. Ah well, such is life.(And now that I've read the other posts, I can say that I left us in a very nice position to take advantage of weather conditions as reported by Michael. Indeed, my original plan was to take a wrong turn at Albequeque, a la Bugs. But I must have taken a wrong turn... BG)

I'll take it, the Baton, but thought I had been flying with it for well over an hour. And it seems we are being told how to fly this one.So I'll try again.Aeromachines.

Hi Lowell.Not sure what you mean about being told how to fly this one. There was a general idea within the group of going in a general direction. And Michael provided some weather information. Beyond that, everything is up to the pilot.As for thinking you had the baton, not sure what to tell you on that one other than it's easy for postings to get buried amongst each other. It can be easy to miss when someone takes the baton. A really careful readthrough is about the best each of us can do to avoid problems.--Tony

On the Deck at KDFW at 05:38 Zulu in Beech King Air 350.Trouble with PC will have to upload Screenshot in ten mins.Baton is passed.Aeromachines.

Logged in at: 01:39 EDTOn the Deck at KDFW at 05:38 Zulu in Beech King Air 350. Trouble with PC will have to upload Screenshot in ten mins. Baton is passed. Aeromachines. Lowell M. WileyThis is a DUPLICATE in case it was not on the right subject line and so on. Also to explain I had a great night time screen shot of the ILS into KDFW Runway 17R. But My PC crashed in trying to get into Irfanview, then to save for upload. So, what did I do? Duplicated the approach to get the shot on wife's XP machine, and found out she apparently has no clipboard viewer. After making the screenshot, I cannot locate a clipboard viewer. Next time I'll use FSScreen. Just imagine a perfect nighttime ILS into KDFW, and that was my shot. You could see runways on both sides of the approach all lit up with flashers and REILs and so on. I suppose there may be an error in the frequency for the runways. I was assigned runway 17R via Tower and ATIS, but my AutoPilot locked-on-approach was into apparentlly the center runway. Go figure!

Jim,Hope you catch this in time, btd_jfk picked up the baton at 1:43 AM EDT. By thw way, Love your sig. i feel so relaxed when I see it.-------------Michael

Guest Jim

Thanks...Looks like I got axed by the double post by aeromachines. In fact I give up. It "was" fun.Jim

This would be my first night flight in the tour. I got in my trusty B1900D, sponsored by the kind folks at AA, who were by the way quite glad to see the Round The World tour come into there hub. After laughing over the 'Mexican Incident' they all waved me on my way. This time travelling on my own after a little case of Montezuma's Revenge back in Mexico. There wasnt much traffic at 12:50 in the morning so it was a quick taxi to the runway behind a fellow AA 737. I was amazed at all of the bright lights on the ground at DFW that made for a pretty picture that lit up my cabin. I was up an off the ground at 12:55 local time into a cloudless Dallas night.The cruise was scheduled to be at just 7000ft and once i reached it i switched on my trusty autopilot to find that my nav hold was malufunctioning...ohh well i swtiched into hdg mode and that would keep me busy for the whole flight there isnt much to see out there but on departure i got a good glimpse of downtown Dallas. My route took me over east Texas, Louisiana and Mississppi, before i approached the state i was planning to land in Alabama. At several times in my flight i was concerned over whether or not i would be able to land and file my pirep in time but i decided to have faith in my plane and continue as planned to Montgomery.Well to top off all my problems with a wacky autopilot, the sickness from Mexico, fatigue and tiredness set in about a half hour out and on top of that rain and solid IFR conditions set in. Well i love a challenge but i wanted to get on the ground very badly and the worstening weather didnt make things any better. Time was getting tighter and tighter ATC directed me to land on the runway opposite the direction i was heading, which worstened things yet again. But with some focus i came in for a landing at a rainy Montgomery Regl (KMGM) Rwy 28 after flying for 2 hours 41 minutes of flying and 388 gallons of fuel. Touched down about 3:26 local time. I hand off the baton at KMGM. Whew this one was close!P.S. In lahso's post of airports and aircrafts he forgets to list the airport in Algiers, Algeria, and in my leg from PADQ to PAYA my aircraft was the Beech 1900D not the SAAB, i know there have been a lot of legs to keep up with so no harm no foul here...also i am glad to see there is more than one person using ifranview for screenies in here, its a great lil freeware program isnt it?

Chance to try out my new repaint.... see ya in a bit!!!-------------Michael

Hy!I discovered that my "windshears" were made by FSUIPC... :-(It seems that FSUIPC influences the real-weather-settings, too.Will that earn me a strike, for not flying wit real weather?Danny