Sign in to follow this  

Round the World Challenge - Part Six - North America, W

Hy,I have the baton, heading for Las Vegas or Nellis AFB...Danny(normally near EDFU)

This is the San Diego Arrival Screenshot.

More to come later....-------------Michael

Hawkeyez, I am using FSNav to make the route and then overlaying it on top of the map that emergency pants posted in Photoshop. Its all a new experience to me, I have never really delt with graphics before this. Hope I'm doing okay! -------------Michael"The one fellow who is really broke in the air is the one who is out of both altitude and airspeed" (Wolfgang Langewieche, Stick and Rudder)

Okay, I'm officially giving myself a strike here... because I'd really like to see this. As the next airport is to be in Vegas (my old home town), I truly believe it would be both fitting and proper that the next leg go north, to Lake Tahoe, the scene of the AVSIM conference.Yep, it's a little out of the way, but (here's where my big strike comes in, not to mention the above) I suspect we'll want to be north anyway in order to fly the Greenland route across the Atlantic. I suggest all this mostly because while I would *love* to fly this leg (and will try and grab the baton if I can -- for this leg I'll check every ten minutes or so) since it is my old home town to my current home airport, I also realize this is prime flying time for most of you (and thus I may not have the chance).(I also should note this would be a *very* short leg, less than an hour).

San Diego? Weh heh!!!I just wanted to say well done to each and everyone of you for achieveing your first set objective.I'm sure that you all agree, it is amazing to see a group of clearly focused individuals coming together to achieve a difficult and at times seemingly impossible goal, and all of this whilsts separated by many thousands of miles of ocean.This Challenge and your dedication to making it happen as a team of worldwide volunteers, truly proves the saying that "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" :-coolhttp://www.gyeah.com/ezine/ramblings/2001/...s/budweiser.jpg Have a Bud on me ;-)

Well, here we are!PIREP:- Departing at KSAN (Charles Lindbergh, San Diego) at 13:38 local time, Winds 266/13.- Cruise at FL080, Speed about 180 knots, Wind 208/10- Landing at KLSV (Nellis AFB, Las Vegas) at 15:08 local time after 1h and 30min in the air.- Airplane used is a Rockwell OV-10A Bronco.The baton is free again, but caution: There are heavy windshears at Nellis today...Have Fun!Danny(normally near EDFU)

First, let me echo Tornado's congratulations! Back when we were zig-zagging across Africa, I bet I wasn't the only one going "what the heck is going on??" Still, it gave many of us a chuckle, I think. :) The last quarter of the journey is ahead, and at least the continental US has fairly predictable and steady weather right now, so most of it should be easy.Administrivia:* No strike to Lowell for violating the NOTAM #1 because it is NOT listed among the activities that can earn you a strike. Just don't anybody else do it or you very well could find yourself with a strike. :)* Strike to Mike Kelly, as he said, for attempting to direct the flight without control of the baton.Hey guys, since we're thinking of heading northerly a bit, how 'bout we stop off at good ol' Meigs field, huh?? Also, Oshkosh is going on... hint, hint. I'll personally be looking out for one of those landing opportunities, because I'd love to see the Round the World Challenge logo ON a PLANE at one of those two locations!* STRIKE for Scabbo (Tony...me) for attempting to direct the flight without control of the baton.--Tony

I've got the baton... Heading for.. what the heck. Tahoe.

Hell and damn! Late by one lousy minute!

Someone earlier had asked about UT for places on the planet as we fly around. Don't ask me how I found this (cause I don't honestly remember what order of links I used to get this) but here's a locator for pretty much any place on the planet. http://www.astro.com/cgi-bin/atlw3/aq.cgi?lang=e You'll get not only lat & long, timezone but also UT.Cheers...Hawkeyez :-kewl

I jumped into my AA sponsered B1900d with my two nieces, 7 and 10. I had always promised to take them somewhere with me and no better chance than this. I had never taken off from an Air Force Base before and the military presence was awkward but all wished me well on my trip. After getting strapped in I filed my flight plan and took off in clear skies. at 2:45pm local time. The wind shear reported before had calmed down and made for a pretty straightforward takeoff. I pointed out Lake Mead and Hoover Dam to my nieces out the port side and the City of Las Vegas to my starboard side. I switched on my autopilot and we were cruising at 15,000ft and 275 knots.The trip enroute was pretty simple and uneventful it was a d-gps route so the autopilot did the flying and we looked at the scenery. In the beginning it was hard to get a word in with ATC but as we left LA center that problem was relieved. The plan was to fly to MMGM but i was making such good time that i decided to fly south to MMCN, Ciudad Obregon. I cancelled my IFR flight plan 80 nm out from my original destination and began to divert. The middle part of the trip was marred by overcast but as we approaced MMCN the skies cleared and i was greeted by big white fluffy clouds scattered about.I tuned ATIS and found that the weather there would be great, since there was no ILS i had to eyeball the approach and came in about 1000 AGL for the last 15 nm our so, hope i didnt disturb the residents too much, but it was most fields after i passed the city itself. I got the kids buckled in and came to an easy landing at MMCN a little after 5 in the afternoon local time, after 2 hours and 28 minutes of flight, and 336 gallons of fuel burned. Well i need to brush up on my espanol now. Viva la Mexico! I graciously pass on the baton!

Okay, so really, where is the baton? How did you cover 1767 miles in 3hrs?-------------MichaelDazed and Confused