Sign in to follow this  
Guest mbalvetti

What is this ?

Guest mbalvetti

I was flying from LIRF to KJFK and near north pole, when I was on the coordinates of FMC I saw this sign on PD.What is this little segment ?Thanks a lot,Maurizio Balvetti

Guest Andrew1981

Strange maybe a small visual bug.BTW North pole is way too North for a route as FCO-JFK .

Guest mbalvetti

Yes I know, but FS9 Flightplanner does not think so!BTW - When I play offline I tried to modify FS9 flight plan but in most cases some fixes do not exist (it seems me so) on FS9 and in this case ATC often tries to send me in a way that isn't the same as the flie plan loaded in FMC. After few times it disconnect me from the flight.Any suggestions flying offline ?Thanks a lot,Maurizio Balvetti

Maurizio,Go and get a program like FSBuild or FSNavigator. They will "usually" creat a much more realistic flight plan for you. FS9 does not do the best job of just planning a realistic FP for you. FCO-JFK should be passing over Gander, not the Poles...-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

There was an article about flying MSF9 near northerly limits in Computer Pilot a few months ago. Basicly it stated north of a certain lattitude FS navigation went kind of nuts including GPS. Perhaps there is a flaw in the geographic MS database files and some improperly handled coordinates show up in the FS planner.As I remember the errors started occuring after one of the most northernmost inhabited remore points north of Alaska. This was an old DEW point surveillance location now used for scientific observations.Visual scenery went wild as did all the navigation aids.

Guest Chris1973

Check out Qaanaaq in Greenland. Runway & trees are moving there.

Guest Andrew1981

Maurizio Also Try using rfinder tool (freeware ) http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/after you got the flightplan you either program the fp or use a program as fsnav and export to PMDG format Ciao

Captains-the "flaw" as you state it is a well-known issue with MSFS whereby the projection of the earth is a flat model. Anything above 89' 30" (or below the southern equivalent) isn't available (in fact, if you hit that mark, you'll start going sideways).It's uncertain whether Microsoft will switch to a different model at any point in the future. They definitely know about it, it's just a question of time vs. complexity, I am sure.

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest Callmecapt

>the "flaw" as you state it is a well-known issue with MSFS>whereby the projection of the earth is a flat model. As real as it gets!!:-roll Goran

Guest D17S

Had an interesting polar run myself a while back. Can you get your nav system to do this?Seems the track wandered off without the airplane and the IRU's tagged along for the ride. Notice the "little airplane" -- IRU present positions -- still dutifully marching along the track line.The test flight was designed to check how well the system flew on IRU only present position updating. I flew out of range of any VOR station (the North Pole was a good bet), then inhibited GPS. This was the result. The magenta track line detached from the airplane triangle then just marched off onto the ND

Sam, if this scenerio can bite you then it could bite anyone, and harder! Perhaps we should do a mini tutorial for polar flight and long range ETOPS precautions?Haven't gone off the boil on that advanced systems tutorial too BTW mate, just had some busy real-world stuff that has kept me from the captain's (swivelly office) seat lately. Will be dedicating a lot more time to it over the next few weeks. Will be in touch.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest mbalvetti

Thanks to all of you for yours kind replies.I'll follow your directives about route planning for the future.Maurizio Balvetti

Guest D17S

If you have FS Build, pick a departure/arrival set that will take you directly over the pole and let FS Build autobuild the route. That's what I did and it gave me this weird, away-from-pole zig-zag course that completely missed the pole. Little did I know . . . So I went ahead and loaded it into my FMC and re-connected the dots so I was going over the pole. The pole is where I wanted to go. Little did my FMC know: I was leading it to its doom.It seems that FS Build might be setup to handle this MSFS pole anomaly.

Guest mbalvetti

Hi, I bought FSBuild v.2.2, but I have some problems:After install ov rel 2 and upgrade to 2.2 I did the following things:1) Set Options to: C:PROGRAMMIMICROSOFT GAMESFLIGHT SIMULATOR 92) Under Setting -> SAVE CONFIG OPTIONSThen exit and restart FSBuildI try a flighplan from LIRF to LIMCLIRF - ELB5A - 34RLIMC - 35RSet Export to... -> FS2000/02/04Autogenerate -> Stored route found (Might be in a previous attempt even if I can't find the saved plan.)Build -> UNABLE TO CREATE FS2000 FILEC:DOCUMENT AND SETTINGMAURIZIO(me)DOCUMENTIFLIGHT SIMULATOR FILESLIRF-LIMC.PLNThat's all.What I have to do ?Thanks a lot,Maurizio Balvetti

Guest D17S

First, on the options tab screen, make sure the top line is selecting the directory you used to install the actual MSFS program. This sounds like where your problem is. Make sure this line points to your main MSFS directory. Now check below that top line and see that PMDG 737NG is listed down there somewhere. It needs to be there. Now, up to the very top of the program screen. Select "Export to . . " In this menu, make sure the PMDG 737NG is checked. PMDG's 747 and the 737 use the same directory and file type. This will put the flight plan into a folder where you can use it as you CO ROUTE in your FMC setup. Notice all the other export options you have there too.Get you navdata update too: http://www.navdata.at/There's a file around somewhere that will add the PMDG 747-400 as a specific aircraft type to facilitate more accurate fuel and weight calculations. It's not necessary, but handy. Anyone remember where that was?