Sign in to follow this  
Guest Steve_Park

UPS Livery

Guest Steve_Park

OK, I have heard a couple of different stories as to why there is no UPS repaint of the -F. Could I get an answer from the "Horse's Mouth", is there an issue with the textures that prevent's the UPS repaint or is there some legal issue with a free, not for profit, repaint of the UPS B747-400F?Steve Park"Still flying the Brown Tailed PAX version"

Guest Hawkeyeted

Umm....UPS doesn't fly -400F's? They fly -100's. Could that be why?

Guest 744nut

The only story I can think of is that UPS only flies the 747 classic ;-)Ton

What Steve is referring to is the fact that there has been some posts saying that there was a legal issue with it. I don't personally see how this can be necessarily true as there are many other repaints in UPS colors out there for other aircraft. There has been some talk on another forum that a repainter attempted to do up a -400F in UPS colors, but there is a slight problem with the repaint kit that prevented the repaint from coming out looking decent.As for the fact that UPS does not fly -400s. This is true, but UPS also has some 400Fs on order from Boeing. They should be delivered within the next year or two.Now, for that official answer from the PMDG team...ChuckC-130E/H/H1 Flight EngineerDyess AFB, TXAMD 64 3700+ASUS A8V Deluxe 2.0 gig DDR400 Corsair TwinX 3200XLC2ProWD 120 gig HDDWD 80 gig HDDTwin WD 160 gig SATA HDDsSB Audigy 2ATI Radeon X850 Pro 256CH Products USB Yoke, Pedals, Throttle QuadWindows XP Pro SP2

Guest UPS009

From the Boeing link.http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2005/p...pr_050817h.html SEATTLE, Aug. 17, 2005 -- Boeing and UPS announced today that the package delivery carrier has ordered eight Boeing 747-400 Freighters for delivery in 2007 and 2008. The 747-400F can carry a maximum 120 tons of cargo, 25 tons more cargo than the 747-200 Freighters currently in the UPS fleet. In addition to the higher payload capability of 250,000 pounds (113 tonnes), the 747-400F consumes 15 percent less fuel than its predecessor, allowing the airplane to fly farther and to more destinations.Sounds to me like the a good reason to have one painted up in UPS colors to me. :-)

When attempting to do a UPS Livery of my own, I encountered issues with the texturing along the top of the fuselage (excessive distortion.) When I posed this question here on the forum in another thread, it was pretty much confirmed from the developers that this was the issue keeping a UPS repaint from being completed.Refer to my post and Mr. Randazzo's reply in the following thread:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...d=106488#106671

There is no legal issue between PMDG and UPS - I have no idea how that got started. I'll ask the painters if they can do one when they have time...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest Knikolaes

I can clarify on the legal issue part. That rumer actually started when a virtual airline that reenacts UPS flights had an issue where they had to remove certain logos and videos from their site as UPS forced them to -- the reason being was their site was starting to look WAY too much like a real world UPS operation, thus confusing the general public searching the web for UPS information (spider search engine crawlers were coming up with all-too-similar metatags for such searches).They are still very much alive, but just had to watch how they presented themselves so that no one could possibly go and mistakingly get the idea that they were in any way affiliated with UPS in the real world. This is not an unreasonable request.For some reason, though, when this got out into public, a lot of repainters freaked out about it, and stopped repainting, then the rumer spread to say that add-on developers, etc. couldnt do repaints of UPS, etc.There are no rules at all against painting an aircraft for FS to look like UPS, Fed Ex or any other paint for that matter (Sorry, Ari, you tried, but the public overruled you). The copyright issues were strictly limited to web page authors alone.

why dont you try releasing a certain Continental 777 repaint and see how far you get before the lawyers hound you :)American Airlines had a problem and the makers of Ultimate Traffic had it as a free addon to download AA repaints because of certain legal issues. Personally I think claiming copyright infringement is a far stretch of the imagination, but most people dont have the money and patience to wage a legal battle.

Guest Knikolaes

Aye, true :-( We can thank guys like Ariane for that . . . http://www.avsim.com/pages/0902/pt_again.htmlSuch a sad state in the FS community when things come to that stage. As quoted from this article from AVSIM:"This is the same individual that attempted to take over freeware by signing a contract with American Airlines which would have, in his "interpretation"; given him the rights to all AA owned logos, including that of TWA, in respect of their use by all others, including freeware authors. He attempted to force that interpretation off on the simulation community, and did the same with Lauda, British Airways and others."Greed is mainly what drives acts like that. My advice -- if you get letters out of the blue accusing you of copyright infringement, go straight tothe horse's mouth and don't take "no" for an answer from any but the official source. mlst of the time, yer actually just getting scammed by someone like Tishma who think THEY have some sort of rights to the logos personally.

i think if PMDG were selling a UPS livery then there would be a problem if prior agreement was not achieved. Because its freeware most airlines like to be represented in the virtual world, product placement no doubt is a factor. I fly virgin atlantic repaints and have found myself flicking onto their website for flight prices even though they dont fly from Dublin! :) VAs such as British Airways Virtual have signed agreements with BA to allow the use of logos for their VA, and of course you are encouraged to travel with BA on the BAV website. If it is done correctly then its clever marketing and a free source of advertising for an airline

This is why PSS always give away the AAL liveries. American won't let them sell em.Scott

Kendall S Mann

Still Telling Pilots Where To Go!!

Guest mabou82

If I may, I'm pretty sure that the UPS livery is not at all linked to any legal issues as stated by PMDG,UPS Does use the 400F but does not own them, at the present time 744F used for UPS flight are on less by pretty much all freighter companies such as Atlas or Polar etc... The actual UPS Airline fleet is the 727, 757, 767, 747 (100 and 200), DC8, MD-11F, A300-600. You can find the information : http://www.ups.com/aircargo/using/services...c-aircraft.html.The first delivery is scheduled for June 2007 with two additional deliveries that year, followed by the remaining five deliveries in 2008. UPS has selected General Electric CF6-80C2-B1F engines to power the new airplanes. (Statement from Boeing website)But hey! If we can get those texture issue fixed I would love to fly my employer's color virtually ;-)Marc-Andre Montreal, Canada

Guest Knikolaes

yeah that would be sweet.

Guest Steve_Park

Thanks for all the good info, knew most of it already, but was hoping for an update from Vin on the Texture bug delaying the repaint by Brian. I understand that UPS does not, at the present fly the -400F, but have them on order. They do contract with Polar and I believe that the current flight's on the UPSVAC site are those flight, so will fly them in the Polar paint scheme until PMDG get's the problem fixed.Steve ParkUPS415AAL935CPA415LWA39