Sign in to follow this  
Guest smjfreeman

High End PC = Still low frame rates!

Guys,Just a note with respect to virus scanner performance.It is well-down in the idustry that what kills run-time performance is the *ON ACCESS* scanners. That is because: whenever a process opens a file, an ON ACCESS virus scanner will scan it for viruses. Most virus scanner come pre-defaulted to "uber paranoid" mode, in which they will scan EVERYTHING, including data files that clearly cannot contain a virus.You are far better off uninstalling the ON ACCESS part of the virus scanner, and scheduling regular ON DEMAND scans. Please note that just disabling the ON ACCESS scanner is NOT sufficient in all cases: you should really uninstall it.- Bill

- William Ruppel, CYTZ, VATSIM 816871

no need to uninstall, just run FS Autostart and select that service to stop when flying

Guest smjfreeman

Ray,I am shocked you think 20fps is acceptable for your hardware. Its even faster than my kit!I think I'll stop buying flight sim gear now, sell what I have - and buy Air Force One. I may have enough left over for a pint on the way home.I'm not falling prey to the "other guy gets better", but I'd like to know how Randy gets 60fps in the air with a slower PC than mine, whilst running a higher resolution. I'm not disputing this, merely trying to get on par.Because I use the VC with a headtracker, fluidity is vital - double imaging gives me headaches, as it did to the many real pilots who trained on inferior sims unable to cope with 60Hz. (I know, as I helped develop the largest military flight sim in europe).So in order to avoid the bonce-ache, I want the VC as smooth as possible, and will stop at nothing to get a steadyish 30fps. I've ordered 2Gb of Mushkin Redline RAM today, at

It is a recurrent nightmare....not even the high end rigs are capable to get rid of the "low FPS on VC" issue !! I have a pretty fast machine which I keep "superclean": AMD 4800 , 2G Corsair TWIN, ASUS X1900XTX , two installation of XP with one just dedicated only to FS9 (operating system on one drive and FS on the other). Pretty good machine, yet what I am getting on the Queen VC is huge fluctuations in FPS, ranging from 15 to 35 (not stutters, just fluctuations), regardless of weather, scenery and Graphic card settings. Usually what happens is FPS in the low end for a few seconds after switching to VC, then jump to 30 and more (unless I am on the ground in very detailed addon airports), then after some time back to the low end and up again after a while. Even with no AI traffic, addon airports are generally killers, while 3d clouds, even the high resolution ones (512x512) are not an issue.Outside view is on the 50 to 60 FPS range.Switching off the unnecessary software does not have a significant impact..I use Windows firewall and AVG free antivirus. They may be switched on or off...no change at all.What I can't explain is why the system is unable to maintain a stable FPS rate even if the boundary conditions do not vary at all, or in other words why once 30 fps are achieved and maintained for some time, all of a sudden they spontaneously plummet to 15, without any significant change in the other parameters that could justify such a drop.If somebody finds a solution or at least an explanation I'd be grateful..!Regards

AMD Ryzen 7800x3d, Asus ROG Strix RTX4090, Asus x670e-e, G-Skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

Guest mc.kar

Hi MikeI dont have anu ideas as to what is wrong...but clearly there is a bottleneck somewhere in your system. I have somewhat similar problem in my system although not so bad.I'm operating with four screens:- 3 1024*768 displays for PFD-ND-EICAS(UP-LOW)/OHP/Console-THQ-WxR-etc.- 1 800*600 mini TFT for my own "HW CDU"I have discovered the following (applies to QOTS 1.1 not the 400F)The following panels seem to incur major FPS loss:- OHP- Right CDU (Very bad cut... to my surprise)- WxR (I use RXP WX-500)I know this information is not to much use for you perhaps...but just goes to tell that the QTOS is a very processor intensive aircraft. Its also a known fact that FS9 relies very much on the CPU to give a good FPS count. So to much "pure CPU" activity just running the sim wil because if the apparent design of FS9 give you a FPS cut.Perhaps before you buy anything you might want to take a look at thishttp://www.avsim.com/pages/0306/FSGS/fsgs.htmIts a review here form AVSIM and it might give you another view on how to deal with your problem.I guess everything just goes to tell that even if you buy everything to the best specs you can still get "unlucky" and get a system that contains bottlenecks.Both the blessing and the curse of our hobbyBest regardsMichael ChristiansenKarup, Denmark

Guest neverwind

>I have a fast computer and the pax 744 works fine. but the>freighter gives me less than 10 FPS all the time, even with>clear weather and no traffic. and even with the 1.01 update> Like the user that posted the above text, I too have zero problems with just the 744 PAX version installed. With the 744F installed my frames go from 3.5 to around 19. And they vary inexplicably when the aircraft is stationary and nothing CPU intensive is happening. I'm not pointing fingers, but this only occurs with the 744F version so I'm thinking some of us are experiencing a bug?

I've wrote about this in another thread. I'm seeing the same fluctuations in VC framerates with the updated 1.01 version of the Cargo 744 (PAX is fine). Framerate fluctuations seem to be from the 'ISFD' gauge update that doesn't seem anyway related to the VC problems some of us are having. I've disabled this gauge in the 'panel.cfg' only to find the same framerate problems from version 1.00. All the update did for me was caused the problems mentioned above. You are getting fluctuations because the 'ISFD' gauge is programmed to jump around with its display setting and therefore cause inconsistencies in smoothness all around in the 744F's VC...I'm sorry PMDG but I know of no other way to explain this. Shutting down the 'ISFD' gauge doesn't improve anything on my end much less letting it run which really causes framerates fluctuate...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

That's right Alex but most don't get it that the virus scanning software is not the problem here. I use FSAutotstart which shuts off my virus software (F-Prot Version 2.6) and still retain problems with VC framerates once in FS (once again every other add-on including the PAX 744 doesn

FS2020 

Or it could be a combination of both the 'ISFD' gauge and another gauge...

FS2020 

I'll correct myself here in saying disabling the 'ISFD' gauge does diminish framerate problems to some extent but not totally. There is diffidently some improvement but nothing on the level of the PAX version.

FS2020 

Guest keringordon

I followed the suggestions of rsrandazzo mentioned about Norton software. I disconnected my pc from the net and uninstalled all antivirus software (and everything Norton basically). I did see framerate improvements in Flight Sim - but not in the 744F. Something is sucking framerates like crazy and I can't even taxi properly with 3 FPS. Occasionally the whole airport and aircraft go grey and FS reloads every texture back in 1 by 1 pausing the sim forabout 5 sec, then its back to 3fps. After takeoff I get nno more than 15 FPS looking only at the sky. I have no problems with other aircraft - even other payware. 744 PAX was fine until 744F was installed slowing them both down.

That's like saying a clipped toe nail has something to do with an arm pit... :-)

FS2020