Sign in to follow this  
United782

What do/should you use?

I just read a post about a guy with a high-end computer complaining about low framerates. Randazzo came in a couple replies later to express his thoughts on the matter, especially with his dislike of norton software. I completely agree with Randazzo on the performance hit you take when using norton. I would just like to know what do you all use if you're not using norton? What anti-virus software is comprehensive but doesn't destroy your frame rates in games?- Tim Schaff

>What anti-virus software is>comprehensive but doesn't destroy your frame rates in games?>I am using Avast (free), can't say enough good about it. But I don't know how 'comprehensive' it is. I haven't seen any Trojans or viruses in the last 18 months (since I owned this PC).Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gifhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest D17S

AVG is good too. The free version works just fine.

Consider taking NOD32. Well known for it's speed and low impact on system resources. Although - it's not free. I use it for quite a long time now in it is the best I've seen so far, paticularly when it comes to detection rate vs. speed.

Guest The_Glideslope

Best thing in the whole world is an Hardware Firewall (Linksys/Cisco) plus a passive antivirus (not loaded on startup and running whenever asked). Norton Anti-virus can do that because it can be temporarely deactivated for 5, 15, 30, 60 minutes or until system restarts. I sugest you set that before running FS9.Just my two cents.

Well, a hardware firewall isn't exactly cheap. An ordinary router would would do fine for the beginning. But almost any AV program can be run in passive mode. No need to use Norton.The interesting thing in active mode (on access mode) is that every program that is started and any infectable file is scanned before opening. So you should really leave that untouched, especially if you are not so experienced with AV/AT systems.

Guest Jock in a Frock

My experience is that bot Norton and McAfee are both ssytem hogs. McAfee would use around 50-55% of my CPU time by running in a high priority mode. I couldn't find a way to set the priority to normal or lower than that, so I ditched it.I now use, and recommend AVG for viruses, and ZoneAlarm for a firewall (alongside XPs firewall, and the firewall in my router.Spybot and SpySweeper are both pretty well respected spyware catchers.Andy Scholes.

zonealarm AND Xp for your software firewall? no reason to do that.personally I run trendmicros PC Cillin. great software. But I shut it down completely when flying. there is no reason to have antivirus software running when you are playing a game

Guest Pilot53

I just turn it all off for my flights, it saves alot of ram, I use norton and have no real frame issues as long as its all off. Try using msconfig.