Sign in to follow this  
Guest flytrumpet1

saving flights with 744

Guest flytrumpet1

Hi all,I started to work again on the 744 after a break due to pc crash(fantastic plane).I was able to complete a flight with perfect autoland and all between RJTT-RJCC.The climb was a little tricky because the autopilot wouldn't stay on...it managed to work after a little bit.So,the flight went well,the approach and landing too.My problem....i saved the flight about 20nm from the runway(in case of crash)so i could practise the landing again.The thing is that i can't engage LNAV after the flight has loaded,the plane stays in heading hold mode and won't budge...the FMC tells me it's on a non intercept course,and when i try to engage the app mode it tells me invalid NAV...I read all the posts i could find about saving flights,but nothing really answered my problems.Anyone has a solution?That would be greatly appreciated as i don't always have time to finish a flight and would like to be able to save and comeback to the flight later with the plane as i left it.Thanks for any helpRegardsRichard

Guest D17S

Forget about Lnav and just concentrate on regaining control of the airplane. You are dealing with an emergency situation! Get out that non-standard procedures check list. When the flight starts, just keep pounding on that AP button till it hooks up. You are low and slow, most likely. The AP will finally hook up in Heading and Altitude hold. You gotta get the AT back too. Quickly press "ALT" (altitude hold), then "SPD" on the MCP. This will get you into SPD/HDG/ALT. OK, now breath. You are safe for the moment. ((Note: If you really want Lnav back, go (quickly!) to the legs page, select the closest fix to the scratch pad, then back to LSK 1L. Then (quickly!) press Lnav. That'll get that.))The radio page lost your ILS freq. Go the FMC's radio page. Notice ILS Freq looks OK, but it's not. Select it to the scratch pad, then back to the ILS's LSK. That'll get your ILS radio re-tuned.Now back to the MCP. APP will arm now. Do it. Now

Guest flytrumpet1

Hi,Thanks very much for your sugestions.It helped a lot,and i was able to regain control of the plane in no time.Everything worked perfectly,it's just weird to have to go through all those procedures to regain control when loading a saved flight.Anyway,the important thing is that there's a solution to fix the problem.I have to add that the autoland works exceptionally well on this plane.As much as i love the LDS 767,it seems the QOTS lands much more smoothly.Oh well,they both have their strengt,i definately put them on the same level,and enjoy flying them both equally.We're lucky to have such good designers.I'm looking forward to the MD11 now.Thanks again for the helpRichard