Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jacob Lee

Would like confirmation of an idea I have

Guest Jacob Lee

Good day all. I would just like if someone can confirm that the PMDG 737 (all versions) does not have autoland. When I hit the "APP" key it tracks and follows the glideslope and lateral nav, but it does not do the flare and rollout like the 747. Is this because there is no autoland? I didn't think there was because there is only one autopilot (besides "A" or "B"). What do you pilots do with the 737? Do you disengage the autopilot and manually do the flare when over the thresehold? Thanks for the help. -- Jake

Hi JakeI think you have to engage the second autopilot (A or B whichever was not active for your cruise) after selecting the APP mode. Then the 737 has indeed autoland and does flare.If i remember correctly, the PMDG 737 doesn't have the rollout mode modelled, so you have to kepp it on the runway after touchdown, but then again my memory could just fool me.Have funMichael

Guest Jacob Lee

Okay! I thought it was a little weird that the new 737 series does not have autoland on it. I was flying in to Houston today in the 737-800 and I hit the APP button but only had A/P "A" on and over the thresehold I did a nose plant. Doh!!! I will give it a try next time I fly. Thanks for the help. Jake

Guest Jacob Lee

Okay so I just tried what you said and it worked. I have A/P "A" on, then I hit APP, then I hit A/P "B" so that they are both working. Also, for anyone else reading this and having problems with the autoland on the 737, you need to tune both navigation frequency to the ILS frequency for the autoland to work. Again, thanks for the help. -- Jake

Single auto-pilot is used in take off cruise and descent, but due to the added dangers of an autopilot failure on landing two or more are required to be active. It is SOP to engage all three so that if one does fail there are still two available to take the load.A lot of pilots though prefer to disengage auto pilot at minimums and hand fly the landing. Why let the computer have all the fun.

> Also, for anyone else reading this and having problems with>the autoland on the 737, you need to tune both navigation>frequency to the ILS frequency for the autoland to work.We know. We read the manuals. :+Karsten

Michael et al,>If i remember correctly, the PMDG 737 doesn't have the rollout>mode modelled, so you have to kepp it on the runway after>touchdown, but then again my memory could just fool me.It's not modelled because the real NG does not have it. Hope it helps,

Guest Jacob Lee

>We know. We read the manuals. :+>>Karsten Can you tell me where in the manual it is? I can't find it.

> Can you tell me where in the manual it is? I can't find it.Most obliged:Subsection 9.:AFDS Page 8 4th ParagraphTo engage the second autopilot for a fully coupled Dual Channel Autoland, the ILS frequency and course should be set up for the second navigation radio and the CMD B autopilot switch should be pressed prior to reaching 800