Sign in to follow this  
Guest JTH

Assigning fuel cutoff switches to CH throttle quadrant?

Guest JTH

Hi everyone, I recently bought a CH throttle quadrant. One of the first things I noticed in it was that the middle four switches beneath the throttles would make ideal engine cutoff switches, just like in the real 744. I've assigned controls to my Ch yoke in the past using the PMDG key commands and FSUIPC method. However I cannot find any option in the PMDG key commands for the four engine cutoff switches.So does anyone have any idea for how I can assign them to my throttle quadrant? I'm sure it must be possible and it would really add to the realism. Thanks a lot in advance, Greg.

Guest JTH

Anyone? Please fellas this is a big thing for me. Surely it's possible.Thanks once again, Greg.

There are FS commands for doing that (TOGGLE_FUEL_VALVE_ENGn, I believe). Unfortunately, the PMDG does not honor them... (I've tried).Something you could request an enhancement for, via the support email.- Bill

- William Ruppel, CYTZ, VATSIM 816871

Guest JTH

Thanks for the reply. So there is no way to do this? I am shocked and a bit disappointed at PMDG.

Guest JoeInCT

If there is a keystroke that allows you to do something via the keyboard, then the CH throttle quadrant can be configured to also do it. There is a utility called the CH Control Manager that allows you to remap any button on your throttle quadrant to a key stroke or two or three. The down side is that the settings don't stay in your CH device after you turn off your 'puter. So, every time you start your computer, you have to 1) load the map file into the CH Control Manager program, and then 2) "download" it to your CH throttle quadrant. The first step making your map file.For example, I assigned the buttons on my throttle quadrant to work the radio (respond to ATC). Pressing the first button down on the CH Throttle Quad sends a "1" (just as if I pressed it on the keyboard), pressing the second button down sends a "2" etc. By the way, my bet is there's multiple ways to do this, but this is my solution...Look for the CH Control Manager program. Start it. Then 1) select the device you want to remap (Yoke, Thottle Quad, or Peddles), then 2) the button you want to assign (you will see a graphical picture of the CH Throttle Quad from which you can click the button you want to reassign). Note that pressing the first button DOWN on the throttle quad is action considered button number 2 as far as the CH Control Manager is concerned (pressing the first button UP is considered button 1). Next, click off the "Direct X" button and using your keyboard, enter the key you want into the "Normal Action/Press" box. You then have to click the "download" button to download the new setting(s) to the CH device's memory. You will also have to save the new MAP file so you can load it the next time you start your puter (like I said, the changes don't stay after you power down your puter).To test it, start up Windows Notepad. If you remapped and downloaded the map correctly, when you press the button on the CH device, it should send the key sequence, just as if you used the keyboard. For example, when I press the first button DOWN on my throttle quad, it sends the character "1" as if I pressed it on the keyboard (use Windows Notepad to see it). Hope this makes sense.The trick is just finding out if there's a keyboard sequence that will work.Joe

Guest JTH

Sadly there doesn't seem to be one. Although Robert says that the feature will be included in the next update.

Guest Tophatter

I don't have the 747 but you may try using FSUIPC and assigning the Mixture Lean and Mixture Rich command to each side of your switch. I know that works to close the fuel shut-offs in the default 737.Bud

Guest svedman

>I don't have the 747 but you may try using FSUIPC and>assigning the Mixture Lean and Mixture Rich command to each>side of your switch. I know that works to close the fuel>shut-offs in the default 737.>This does something to the engines in the 747, but the cutoff switch remains open and the engine comes back to life again immediately.I really miss the ability to use FSUIPC's list of actions with the 747... So many buttons on the CH Throttle quadrant, and nothing to use them for ;)Best regards,

Guest kdundon

I use the keys F1, F2, F3, F4 to open/close the fuel switches. I assign them in the Options/assignments/Throttle Quadrant section of buttons. It will tell you that the key is already assigned but click ok and it deletes the other assignment. I then use FSUIPC and assign the four down strokes on the buttons under the throttles to the above keys strokes in the buttons section of FSUIPC. Works for me. I know it isn't like the real thing where up is on and down is off but last time I checked my desk top wasn't flight worthy so it works for me just fine until it gets included.

Guest svedman

Thanks, but this is does not trigger the cutoff switches on the pedistal of PMDG's 747, nor the proper EICAS messages. But it does shut off the engines.Best regards,

Guest tmetzinger

that's a shame - there's no assignment in the PMDG keyboard assignments menu?I have this working on the 737 - let me see how I did it - it may or may not work on the 747.

Guest J_Niny

1- FSUIPC -> Keys -> select a key -> Control sent when key pressed-> Toggle Fuel Valve Eng 1-> Confirm -> same for the other engines.2- FSUIPC -> Buttons-> Configure the JoyStick Buttons to use the same keys.Jorge Niny

Guest mc.kar

I know that there is only one solution to this - and it might not be all that attractive.Use CH-controlmanager to assign a keystroke as already described in another post.Use Luciano Napolitanos utility Key2mouse (www.wideview.it) to assign a mouse action to the already selected keystrokes in the controlmanager.QOTS is - albeit very advanced and reslistic - not realistic in one important matter - support of assigning HW to the various switchactions there is in the sim. The underlying statement is that you cannot operate "the beast" without a mouse.There are numerous actions that can be assigned in the config menuv - however it is only about a 1/3 if you want you want to make your experience independant of the little rodent - and alas the fuel switches are among these.So the only way to manupulate these "keyboard unsupported" switches are with the mouse - hence the advice of using key2mouse.I have build my little home cockpit (300+ switchactions that are hardware supported) - however I must say its less than ideal that native keyboard support is so limited as it is (compared to LVLD-767 for instance)Check what can be done with native HW support in Nico Kaans very impressive cockpit (http://home.planet.nl/~nwkaan/)Best regardsMichael ChristiansenKarup - Denmarkp.s. As other wrote I agree that FSUPIC is not a viable solution for this problem. It will turn off the engine but the SIM still believe that the engins are running...less than ideal

Guest Matze2912

Long time since this problem was discussed... I tried to figure out myself, if there is any solution via FSUIPC, because I just got my CH Throttle Quadrant this morning.Interesting to note is, if you turn off the Engines via CTRL+SHIFT+F1 the Fuel Control Switches actually move into CUTOFF position!Is there any way to assign this command to only Engine Nr. 1 for example?Thanks,Matthias

Did one of you already tryied out the prog key2mouse ?http://www.wideview.it/As far as i know it must be possible to sent a keystroke to the PC (witch you have programmes via your throttle quadrant) and then effectively switch the fuel cutoff switches.!!!The only downside here is that the 2d window with the throttle must be on the screen!!!I have not tryied it already but think it must be possible ...