Sign in to follow this  
Headley

Polar air cargo - DVD on Simmarket

On Simmarket a new DVD is available => Polar air cargo :Quote :"It takes you from New York's JFK Airport around the world back to JFK in the cockpit of the 747-200 and 747-400. Pilots will give you a series of different presentations, you will see them at work and listen to communications with ATC even witness a go-around on short final at Miami's International Airport."Somebody has this DVD already ? And if so, please give a little review, i have intention to buy the DVD if it is worth the money !

i just got it today and watched it. its pretty good though its not up to the quality of the ITVV Virgin DVD in my opinion. Its more take off and landings with some explanations in between. Never really got an indepth look into cargo. i thought we would have got a demonstration of opening the cargo nose door :( still good some great approaches but lacks a multi camera setup.

Hi Paul,Thanks for your reply.The DVD of Virgin Atlantic is the top as we all now ;-) I think i will buy it anyway ...

Hi there,I side with Paul here. One of the first things I noticed was that it didn't feel as professional as the ITVV Virgin DVD. It is true, that there isn't much in depth explanations about Cargo ops. But, I still like the video. The one thing that is explained at length, is the FE's panel. pretty interesting. it also made me think how that whole panel is now managed by the FMS. pretty amazing if you ask me.in one segment, it's cool to see that the PF flies the departure by hand using only the FD. pretty cool. and you can see his left hand adjusting stab trim. so, that was cool. also, in one segment, there is a GA on short final after an airbus fails to get out of the runway on time. you can hear one of the pilots saying "sh*t" or "shoot" because he has to GA. then, he asks tower what kind of plane it was that made them GA, and pokes fun at how slow he was. so, that was funny.what else... the one thing that would have been nice to see was the nose cargo door in operation. also, the frieght dogs are more rugged. not as primped up like the Virgin pilots. i guess that is the nature of freight.all in all, i would get it. but, like i said, it isn't has organized as the VA DVD in terms of presentation.max

having watched it again i think the main plus points are you get to see the differences between the -200F and the -400F, wow that 200F panel looks like the concorde panel! :) as max said the pilots seem to fly the departure manually unlike what we saw in the VA DVD, i tried this out in the PMDG and it aint easy to follow the FD cues! some good fun though especially in a cross wind!Lets hope ITVV get to do some more DVDs its been a while since the last one

Hi,I've got both dvds and I would say Polar is my favourite by a long shot. I can watch the Polar dvd over and over, because there are numerous flights to interesting destinations, at different times of the day, and in various weather conditions. The virgin dvd, on the other hand, is good and yes more professional, but how many times can you watch one flight? Plus I feel that Alan C and co are too formal in front of the camera. I feel the polar dvd represents are more natural reperesnation of pilot interaction. I particularly like it when the 747-200 captain leaving Atlanta comments on another pilots over zealos reply to ACT by saying: "that guys sick". Also you can hear the pilots on short final coming into Chicago laughing amongst themselves at ACT chatter. But yes, Polar camera work isn't as professional as Virgin dvd, which at times can be frustrating. But I would say Polar is better value for money. CheersTristan

Guest AJ

I just got mine too. It's a little rough around the edges, but there is a lot of good stuff on there. The contrast between the -200 and the -400 is nice to see. It is also nice to see the contrast between how different crews handle the -400. As for camera angles, there were actually quite a few different angles shown. I liked the way that different approaches and takeoffs were filmed with the camera in different positions. For the last landing (into KJFK) they had the camera focused down on the controls for almsot the entire approach. It was nice see see exactly what the Captain was doing with his hands. At 205 minutes, there is a huge amount of material there, including a rather nifty nighttime go around at KMIA. Andrew

in re: Tristan's response. I would agree that there are more places to see, and the crew more informal and rough-hewn in polar. i think there are good moments in the VIR video and good moments on the Polar. If only they could mate, they would come out with the best baby representing both worlds.i think that the two dvd's provide information to differnet people types: virgin is more indepth, and professional and shows passenger ops/ and sop, while polar shows the rougher more rugged cargo ops. the one thing that was particularly interesting for me on the poalr dvd, was that you could really see what the pilots were doing with their yokes. towards then end, you could really see that yoke bucking to the turbulence.so i think that both offer different experiences. tomasx