Sign in to follow this  
badderjet

New (to me) Framerate Counter ...

I may be the only guy who didn't know this, but, remember FRATE? That's the neat little utility that gave us the high-low-average framerate counters in FS98 and FS200O? Well, I just learned it's built-in with FS2002. Just add AVE_FRAME_RATE_DISPLAY=1 to the Main section of the FS2002.cfg file. The new info in the brackets on the framerate display is, from left to right, the low, average, and high framerates. So, if you're like me and had never seen this before, try it, you'll like it.TripNorthwood 2.2a at 2.72Ghz Abit TH7II-R512MB Samsung 40ns PC800Gainward GF4 64MB Ti4200 295/57029.42's DX8.1 WinXP ProInwin case / Enermax 431W PSU3DMark2001SE = 11911http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4001228

i dont know about you but thats been in FS since fs98 and maybe fs5. just press shift + Z and itll tell ya your current coordinates, altittude, and speed. press it again and itll tell ya your frame rates. press it again and itll tell you both. press it one more time to take it off. simple. no editing neededGen. Ernesto AlvarezNational CommanderVirtual Civil Air Patrolhttp://ealvarez.net/vcap.jpg

Yes, everyone knows that. But with the change in the .cfg file, this counter also gives you the high, low, and average framerate. FS98 and 2000 couldn't do that.TripNorthwood 2.2a at 2.72Ghz Abit TH7II-R512MB Samsung 40ns PC800Gainward GF4 64MB Ti4200 295/57029.42's DX8.1 WinXP ProInwin case / Enermax 431W PSU3DMark2001SE = 11911http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4001228

Hi Trip,Many thanks for that grest piece of news.As one of the original group in CompuServe's FS Forum that suggested this to Tim Gregson (he was a developer on many versions of FS until he left a few years ago) I'm delighted that this is now incorporated in FS2002. Tim kindly wrote a DLL which provided this info for FS98 and FS2000.How on earth did you find out about this? Have you got inside contacts? ;-)The min, avg and max values are clear enough. I'm not sure about the values immediately following them - <001.0> and V:n.n%. I suspect the latter may be a variation percentage. Variation of what though? Nothing is obvious.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray - I learned about it from my neighbor. He said it came from a six-month old article he found while poking around at simflight.com . I don't know what the "other" numbers are either. I'm sure your right about the variation but, like you, I haven't yet figured out what it's measuring. Also, it seems that the average is somehow reseting itself periodically - at least it doesn't seem to track with what I'd expect to see. But I just started using it today and really haven't had a chance to "fiddle" too much. Too bad Tim didn't do another update for FS2002 - I really miss FRATE. But, maybe this will prove to be an adequate replacement.TripNorthwood 2.2a at 2.72Ghz Abit TH7II-R512MB Samsung 40ns PC800Gainward GF4 64MB Ti4200 295/57029.42's DX8.1 WinXP ProInwin case / Enermax 431W PSU3DMark2001SE = 11911http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4001228

Guest Jeff S KDTW

Yup, it was certainly in there. In fact, it was active in the beta versions of 2002, as can be seen from all of the beta shots posted by MS,,,,,and those posted by illegal beta owners. :-) It was always a clear give away that the poster was using a pirated copy. :-lolRegards,http://home.earthlink.net/~snyders2000/name.jpg | [LINK:www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?emailsearch=jlsnyder@hdp.com]AIRLINERS.NET PHOTOS][/b

Hi Trip,I've had a scout around at simflight and have searched generally using Google but I can't find any references to frate so well done to your neighbour for his astuteness.I'm surprised that news such as this isn't being more widely acknowledged. Those who like to compare performance after changing drivers will know how useless the default FS2002 counter is for this type of analysis.I wanted to award you a couple of votes but you seem to have inhibited this option so instead award yourself some brownie points!I see no-one has yet to come up with an answer to those two mysterious values. Shouldn't be too long now though given the amount of expertise on this site!The display appears to refresh itself every 30 secs.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Jeff,Then I'm even more amazed that no-one thought how useful it is and published the fact! And why didn't MS include the entry in the releaseed FS2002.CFG?I'm speechless!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Trip:Way to go! I loved FRATE and still have it in ZIP format and in FS2000 which I never deleted too.Thanks for the post and info. It really is a trip!JS

Yep, that's good info. I'm used to this kind of framerate counter using IL-2, but didn't expect to find it in FS2K2.If I'm not mistaken...caping your framerates at average should produce the least spikes in the running of the program...