Sign in to follow this  
pilotwannabe

What are the Real World Limits on Glideslope Capture fr...

<>You had it right the first time... the localizer antenna provides azimuth (horz) guidance. It is an array that is located at the opposite end of the runway from the landing zone, it is relatively low and almost as wide as the runway. It is broadcasting the VHF signal that is the LOC frequency, it consists of two beams where the course is the overlap between the beams. The glidesope antenna provides elevation (vert) guidance. It is mounted on a tower a little bit further down the runway than the touchdown zone, and is comprised of two UHF antennas which are broadcasting a UHF signal that is associated with the VHF signal by convention. The GS antennas are pointed at a spot on the runway and they "bounce" off the runway at the desired approach angle. Next time you're at a real airfield look for these guys, they're easy to spot. The DME transmitter is a separate entity and is not always collocated with the localizer but is usually at the opposite end of the landing zone. A long long time I got to work around these things when I was in the Air Force... there are many more components that I've listed but they're used for supervising the signal, providing wide area coverage or back course, etc...

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Matthias1975

>Just note that at todays real life operations, with al the>complex transitations, STARS or SID's a lot of SOPS's don't>allow to much handflying. Complex airliners as the B744 are>flown by the numbers. Don't forget that most t/o's of B744's>are standard done with LNAN /VNAV armed from the ground.I know what you are talking about but do not forget that there are still aircrafts out there without a FMC and all of them have to do a manual STAR (of course using the AP but no VNAV/LNAV)! You are right that a 744 is flown by the numbers and also most of the SIDS/STARS and transitions are flown by the FMC (which also depends a lot on the ATC guidance) but at good conditions most of the short finals and landings are done manualy!

>Just note that at todays real life operations, with al the>complex transitations, STARS or SID's a lot of SOPS's don't>allow to much handflying. Complex airliners as the B744 are>flown by the numbers. Don't forget that most t/o's of B744's>are standard done with LNAN /VNAV armed from the ground.That might be a reason for not handflying a STAR. But despite all the complex procedures and airspaces once an aircraft is on final it can surely be handflown even in today's times. After all there are two pilots on the flight deck and if the crew has done a good job in preparing and executing the approach there is all the time you need for handflying even a B744 on the ILS.So I agree with Matthias on this one, MSFS pilots too often use autoland where in fact they could easily land manually.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Isn't ILS DME supposed to be calibrated to show zero at the threshold? (wherever the ground antenna is located). IF it is not co-located with the GS antenna, then I assume this means that you have to ensure that you are not approaching the ILS from an angle... or the DME will be in error.Cheers.Q>

Guest SIX

Hey guys,I don't think Rashad was doing a seriuos flight. I think he was tinkering or testing out of curiosity. Some of you guys have a tone of scolding in your postings and the guy was just testing some things out. Wilson HinesMy Blog: http://www.wilsonhines.com --------------------------------------http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://online.vatsimindicators.net/837438/3074.png