Sign in to follow this  
Guest smjfreeman

Solution found for low FPS in pax (high spec machine)

Guest smjfreeman

Hi all,I thought I'd update on you on the FPS issues I was having at the end of last week.I built a high spec machine with a lot of grunt to cope with the 747 at a high resolution in the VC. I really wanted 30fps to avoid headaches.I had purchased some new memory, and after setting it up correctly in the bios, I'm now seeing the FPS I need.If anyone else is struggling with FPS, and have a high spec machine - chances are - the problem is your RAM. I found a direct correlation between how fast the RAM was benchmarking and FPS in the VC.So its not all CPU and GPU... despite what I thought before. Sorry if this is old news to some but it might help others avoid the work I had to do.If I took out a stick of RAM (back to single channel), the FPS halved!If you download sisoft sandra, and do a memory benchmark - you'll get a thruput score. For the record, mine was around 3000Mb last week. This week, after serious research and new RAM, I'm now over 6500Mb, and the effect has shown itself in the VC.I hope this info is of use to others, and helps set your expectations if you are running a powerful unit.My FPS is limited to 30FPS (unlimited sees upto 50 when the conditions allow), and dips to 25ish very occasionally. Before I was lucky to see 25 at all. 10-18 was my flight to Rhodes on Saturday.Thats will Activesky, full cloud cover, rain, snow, hail, fog, good scenery, etc etc etc... thats at a resolution of 1920x1200, with full 6xAA, 16XAF, and all the other gravel.Note: This has no relation to the cargo problems some of you have seen I'm afraid.I'm very grateful for your replies and comparisons last week, and I hope the chap with the Athlon FX struggling at 20FPS gets a result he deserves.Kind regards,Mike FreemanDevon, UK

what memory tweaks did you do in the bios?

I agree that RAM would cause a problem but most likely if you have a problem with RAM you will get blue screen crashes like i did.

Guest D17S

Good find. The nomenclature of ram tells the story. For instance, DDR 400 ram is AKA PC3200. This means that a single stick of PC3200 will run at 400Mb/sec, but is capable of through - putting data @ 3200Mb/second (It