Sign in to follow this  
Guest amsterdamer

How to defrag hard drive?

Hi Rayek,First of all, what operating system are you running? If you're running Windows Xp, click on Start. Select Programs, Accessesories, System Tools, and then click on Disk Defragmenter. If you have more than one drive in the upper portion of the box, select the drive you want to defragment. You can do two things here. You can click on the Analyze button and it will analyze your drive to see if it needs defragmenting, or you can click on the Defragment button and it will defragment. I think the procedures are basically the same for Windows 98 and 95 but I don't remember now. It's been a long time since I had those operating systems. You can let us know if you have any more questions. Ken.

Guest amsterdamer

I am using windows XP, I am now in the stage of updating windows via their website so hopefully that will do the trick and I should see more smoother gameplay like before, thanks for your kind assistance it is much appreciated.Rayek.

Guest Phill

You have never defraged your harddrive chances are your services need some attention as well,follow the instructions in the zip,i used the "mine column".Phill

Rayek,Getting Windows Updates isn't going to do anything for the smoothness of FS, especially as it relates to disk defragging. If you don't want to have to worry about defragmentation, I'd suggest getting a commercial defragger (I use PerfectDisk 7) - they all have automatic modes now that work in the middle of the night etc...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

What i recommend doing is do a defrag (yes it will take a while but its worth it) then do a defrag once a week. If you are downloading files and removing programs then do a defrag after this. You will find it will run a lot quicker if you do it every week

Guest Callmecapt

Just to add to Ryans post...I use Executive softwares Diskeeper. Works in pretty much the same way. Also gives you detailed analysis of your hard drive and a graph on how much improvement you will see in read and write times.Goran

Yeah, Diskeeper, O&O, Norton SpeedDisk, etc all do pretty similar things. I like PerfectDisk though because the defrag engine is really advanced and extremely fast - it defrags the whole disk in one pass rather than going over sections multiple times like all the other ones do. It's also the only one that can fully optimize all the locked files that you can't get to while XP is actually running. Some of the other ones can get the swap file, but they usually aren't able to touch the metadata, MFT, hibernation file on a laptop, etc.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest Matthias1975

And if you defrag your HD, do it especially to this one where your FlightSim is located. It will not help to improve the FPS but you loading time can change dramatically. It