Sign in to follow this  
michelmvd

Flap indicators in PFD

Hello,I notice that with the installation of the B747-400F, the flapindications near the speed tape in the PFD has changed (also in pax version)In the past we had the "actual" and "next" flap indicators, which were common on the B747's and could be seen in CBT's and /or the ITVV Virgin movie.For exemple when flaps 10 were selected for t/o, we had the flap 10 and flap 5 in the speedtape, as the indicators are minimum flap speed indications.After updating it looks we only have now the "actual" flap indicator. Is this a update of the software in the newer version of the B744 ? or do I miss something.

this is actually correct. if you have Flaps 10 selected for take off Flaps 5 should be displayed in the PFD not Flaps 10 and Flaps 5. I believe this was changed due to pilot feedback and also i checked it with the ITVV DVD.

Hi Paul,Then this must be a matter of software updating or company related stuff, as I firmly have here information that you have both indicators on the B744 PFD. (As it was presented in the previous B744 PMDG version.

really? hmm yeah must be a customer option as i believe there are thousands :) personally i find having both a bit of a distraction.

We had several of the real life pilots say that the old method was wrong, so it was indeed changed for the F.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi Ryan,It definitively must be a matter of version, but Jon B. will handle this matter later next week.B. rgdsMichel

Michel-As I programmed that change, I can verify that I was "told" (sternly!) that the flap speed displays were indeed inaccurate. If there was an "option" somewhere to have the speeds as before, it was "in the minority". ;-) (It must be an option, as I wasn't "crazy" to have programmed it the old way either ;-)).

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

At least for Atlas airlines it clearly does not show the current flap for TO. If you set flaps 20 your PFD will show flaps 10, same with flaps 10, it will show flaps 5 on the PFD and when thinking about it it makes perfect sense why. ...............Randy J. Smith................A PROUD MEMBER OF THE PMDG BETA TEAM[h4]Evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations[/h4]

especially since (in the old version) say if you selected flaps 20 for take off, Flaps 20 and Flaps 10 would be very close together on the PFD and that way didnt really make much sense...i feel the new version removes any confusion and clutter on the PFD screen

Hi Lefteris , I'm very well aware of your deep concern to bring as much realisme as possible in your products. This is certainly the goal of the complete PMDG team and its many beta testers. I'm sure you didn't change it on a "rumor" base and you are certainly not "crazy" ;) ;) (It must be an >option, as I wasn't "crazy" to have programmed it the old way>either ;-)).But neither am I ;). As this is a very important item in the aircraft operations I too did a lot of research before I opened this thread in the forum. All my sources indicate that on the B744, there is the use the two way flap indicators in the PFD - current and next retracted flap setting speed. As the sources are copyrighted items, I can't publish them freely on the internet and I will take up this matter directly with you. I also can confirm that my sources has been confirmed by real life pilots too.I agree, as some other forum users mentioned, that there can maybe be some confusion, but I think it isn't a matter how we think it would be the best way to indicate it, but it must be simulated and programmed as Boeing is doing it in the real thing. Probally, as with so many Boeing items, there are several software versions around, maybe recently changed by some airliners or adaptations to newer aircraft by Boeing when they introduced the -ER version or the LCD displays, etc. I know some graphics simular to the B777 or B738NG were introduced on that moment too.Therefore it would maybe a good solution to foresee this as an item in the options menu.Many thanks for the most appreciated efforts to bring the Queen of the Skies in such a realisme level to us.B. rgdsMichel

Guest TAN

Michel,Im a pilot with Cathay Pacific and can confirm what you are saying is correct. On all of our B744s (P&W, RR, 744P, 744F, 744BCF) brand new as well as old - BOTH current and nxt Flap speed IS indicated on the PFD speedtape. I would like to see this come back to what it was before the Freighter update - as that for me is how it is IRL. Bst rgds,Claus