Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

PCA (Propulsion Controlled Aircraft) when will it be co...

Guest cliffie1931

A recent "National Geographic" program illustrated the almost impossible feat of flying and landing an aircraft after losing all hydraulic power. All the pilots can do is attempt to fly and land on varying engine power only.The programme went on the explain that a PCA (Propulsion Controlled Aircraft) system has been developed and incorporated into the FMC. I subsequently found a clear explanation on:http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/gallery/Photo/MD-...HTML/index.htmlWith the proliferation of ground to air shoulder operated missiles in the hands of terroists I would have thought that the major Airlines would be keen to include PCA in all it's aircraft.Can anybody comment on this?Finally wouldn't it be great if our own PMDG became the first to incorporate this system in the Queen............Robert?Cliff

Only took a glance at the site, not to sure on all the details but I think I remember hearing about this type of system a while back. I believe McDonald Douglas tested their aircraft to make emergency landings with engine power after the DC-10 crash in Sioux City, since that is all that crew could use.I also believe NASA were developing a system which would utilise modern FBW systems so that if a control surface was damaged/unuseable, the FBW computers would compensate by altering the way the remaining control surfaces function to stablise and control the aircraft.I think these systems would increase aircraft safety in such an event, but I'm unaware of any such actions taking place as of date. Also these systems would cost a vast sum of money, which airlines would not want to payout on unless absolutely necessary.

Alaister Kay