Sign in to follow this  
pipper

Nav data issue?

Hi guys.......The other night I was practicing a low viz approach into the KJFK ILS31R, and to my astonishment I flew right through the localizer in my PMDG 737-700. I made sure I set 111.5 and 314 degrees, flew about a 45 degree angle intercept, and had LOC set in the panel. Yet the airplane did NOT intercept the loc at all. I re flew the intercept twice more and still no intercept. Even on APP, I flew right through. I ensured that the FMC had the correct approach set too, although it was not done via LNAV. A few weeks ago I updated the PMDG procedures to the 0603 currency. I have to assume there is a nav data glitch somewhere. I keep getting confused as to the right sequence to update my nav data folder and I was hoping some kind soul out there could tell me sequentially how to update the nav data. I get confused between AIRACS, PMDG SIDSTARS MOST CURRENT, AIOs, and PMDG procedure files. UGH! I have noticed there are no nav files on the PMDG site lately too. Very confusing!Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.......Joe Swier

I'll shoot the approach myself to check. One thing to note is that intercept angles for the localizer should be 30 degrees or less.

Dave Paige

Thanks Dave.......I am totally familiar with the angles needed to intercept the loc, so I was careful to set up my original flight on about a 40 degree intercept. Following your post, I tried once again to intercept the 31R loc, but although the loc illuminated on the HSI, I flew right through it again despite having activated the LOC selector on the panel. Strange thing was the LOC for 31L worked just fine following my switching frequencies and course selector. The AP easily picked up, intercepted, and followed the localizer. I guess whatever the issue is is related to runway 31R. I would appreciate it if you could let me know how your test flight goes. I am curious if this is maybe an FS9 glitch and not a navdata issue. Cheeers and thanks again.......Joe Swier