Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tim W

John Cunningham

What probably should be added to AVSIm's Obit on the front page with regard to John Cunningham is that he was one of the RAF's most successful night fighter pilot during WWII. He flew Beaufighters and Mosquitos and was known as "Cats-Eye", I believe, because he was so sucessful. After the war, as noted, he became the Chief Test Pilot for DeHavilland's and was involved in a number of their projects including the Comets. A true pioneer and a rare pilot.Best Regards to all Ed Green, KCLTegreen1@carolina.rr.com

A very sad loss to the aviation world indeed. John Cunningham was also arguabley the discoverer of the "Cats-Eyes" that appear on roads all over the world. He was also the chief test pilot of my favorite aircraft, the (very advanced for it's day) Trident for BEA (British European Airways) RIP John, You will always be remembered...Chris

Guest The Ancient Brit

I cannot quote chapter and verse, but I am sure Capt. Cunningham

Guest Tim W

Denis,You are correct there, Group Captain Cunningham was given the nickname "Cats Eyes" to confuse the Germans and hide the fact that the British were using Radar in their night fighters. It was also spread around that he ate a lot of Carrots to help his night vision.I had the pleasure of seeing Group Captain Cunningham fly the first Trident 2 service from the UK into Luqa, Malta in around 1968 or so. My dad was a Air Traffic controller in the RAF and I was in the tower watching his landing.RegardsTim