Sign in to follow this  
Pod562

Holding and FMC

I am trying to find in the manuals for the 737 and 747 where it explains the holding page in the FMC. I have looked in the FMC sections for both planes but without much luck. Anyone got a page number? The information I am looking for is where to input dme/radial data in the holding page: eg. if I want to hold at a fix 40 miles out from a VOR on a particular radial, where do I input the '40 miles'.I can see reference to 'radial' on the holding page, but not distance.Apologies if it is obvious and any incorrect terminology used.Thanks allRenzo

Bill Miller

Why not use the "FIX" page and make up a waypoint, at which you'll hold?

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

You should be able to do a PlaceBearing/Distance waypoint. Something like LAX180/10. Which would be the LAX VOR on the 180

Don't you mean LAX180/40??

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

If you are established on a particular radial and heading towards the VOR simply type the VOR/-40 on TOP of the VOR's entery on the legs page which will display VOR01 @ 40 miles pior to the fix on the legs page. Then choose HOLD/NEXT HOLD/ LSK VOR01 into the hold boxes and hit execu................Randy J. Smith................A PROUD MEMBER OF THE PMDG BETA TEAM[h4]Evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations[/h4]

What's the procedure for Holding?Especially when heading to a busy airport where holds are commonplace.A lot of the STARS have holding areas marked, which I presume is the standard holding area for that approach. So if asked to hold you would most likely be asked to hold as this pre known holding area.Do you put the hold in before hand and remove it if you are not asked to hold?Do you wait until asked to hold and then start entering the data?Do you set up RTE2 with the hold and switch if needed?Also will the Hold page info be added to the manual at any point?I've been through it all and couldn't find it anywhere.If it is in there can someone point me to the chapter and page.Fortuantely I have the page info from other sources so have an idea what the entries mean.

Further thought Lefters' way is the most likely way in this situation, simply place a fix at 40 nm around the VOR establish yourself on the radial (Why you would not be in this case?) and use HOLD/NEXT HOLD/PPOS right at the outer fix ring you set on the ND................Randy J. Smith................A PROUD MEMBER OF THE PMDG BETA TEAM[h4]Evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations[/h4]

Guest lespindo

Renzo You Need to read the manual!!!!!Defining and using custom waypoints!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/FMC page 12-36............But also learn how to do a holding with raw data!!!! you don't need to buy Jeppesen Instrument/Commercial text book. It is in your flight simulator By: Rod Machado.. Happy Flying!!!!!!