Sign in to follow this  
Guest smjfreeman

Pictures\report of touchscreen CDU

Guest smjfreeman

Hi all,In case anyone was interested in the other thread regarding the CDU screen I've been working on, I thought I'd post a picture of what I've done so you can see how "usable" it can be.Please excuse the mess in here, I am very tight on space.http://www.verzend.be/v/521969/DSCF3466.JPG.htmlI beleive its the closest thing to a hardware (engravity) unit, and whilst it don't compare in feel or looks... it at least meets the basic functions of what I tried to do, which was see the CDU in isolation, and be able to interact with it.This is really handy for those with a tablet laptop or touchscreen who wants to get more use out of it.Below are some things you need to have a similar setup with your laptop:1. A tablet style laptop2. A network3. UltraVnc (free) installed on both machines4. Tweakui (again free, to change the drag sensitivity)5. iRotate (free, to rotate the laptop screen)NB, a normal touchscreen is easier to setup than above and you wont need most of that, but you wont get the rotate function in FS2004, its been tried :((Other considerations:1. You may need to connect a 2nd monitor to the FS PC, to enable the spanning. I don't know if theres a way to enable that WITHOUT the monitor connected. There could be a force option in the drivers.2. This does involve some tweaking to get right. Ensure "Poll Window under cursor" is selected in the vnc server properties. This will save you hassle when you find out theres a big delay in updates! Play around with UltraVNC to get the results you want.3. Because of 2, if you move the mouse away from the CDU, it won't update. Not really a problem, unless you move the mouse to flick a switch somewhere else, and forget you're monitoring your PROG/LEGS page or similar and find that you're going nowhere fast. Simply tap the cdu to bring back the mouse curser and in turn, the updates.4. This application isn't an alternative to Engravity. It doesn't come close to a dedicated hardware solution. Its more work to setup, and doesn't have proper tactile buttons. It's intended to make use of a laptop with a touchscreen which would otherwise be on its backside whilst I'm flying. If you want ultimate realism, and can afford it, buy the Engravity and don't mess about with my solution.I hope this is of some use to someone who, like me - tends to squeeze every last bit of mileage out of anything they have to enhance their 747 experience. I'm always happy to help if you try this out, and get stuck.Kind regards,