Sign in to follow this  

FSMeteo question

>What? FS Meteo can only change global weather???? Not my >FS Meteo. I get the local weather at any reporting station I >ask for? It's true that if you ask FSMeteo for the waether of a distance station it show it up too you, but have you tried to get the ATIS information in FS2k2 from this station at distance? You would get youre current weather and not the real weather at this station. Lets try to explain it:Global weather in FS2k2 is is one waether setting for the world. Local weather mean that every station on the world has its own weather settings.FSMeteo and all other currently available programs, use FSUIPC and change the global weather of FS2k2. They do this frequently, so if you fly to a station FSMeteo set the global weather to this station. If you fly to another station FSMeteo change the global weather so it is now like the weather at the new station. But the weather at the old station is GONE.That is the problem: if you would request by FS2k2 ATIS frequency weather information for an airport which is several hundred miles away, you would get the current weather from you're current station not the waether from the station hundred miles away. Only the build in weather of FS2k2 can do this currently.Lets hope that sometimes FSUIPC could do this too, then and only then FSMeteo can set

Keep in mind, if FSMeteo had to update all the stations every 5 minutes, you would almost certainly notice some pause (I would think!). A nice compromise would be if it updated the stations within radio range (60nms?) regularly.David

But why do you need to request it in FS2K2? All you have to do is request it with FS Meteo, that's why we bought it for after all, isn't it?Maybe I'm still confused as to what you are trying to do? I guess I don't see this as a problem, but as the reason I bought FS Meteo?

Fred,For me FSMeteo runs on a separate computer silently doing its work. It's not very realistic for me to switch computers, type in the destination airport in the little box and let it reload. Call me crazy but in the real airplane I would just dial in the ATIS I was looking for and listen to the weather. As it is now, all the ATISs will give me the same report. Sounds like a limitation of FSMeteo +/or FSUPIC but hopefully one with a solution down the road.David

Yeah, in a real aircraft, that's the way it's done, I guess FS Meteo is the best solution so far. Actually for me, I almost always fly online in multi-player games on Vatsim or hosting and dialing in ATIS in the comm frequence doesn't work anyway ;-)

David, I think I am as confused as Fred :-)FS Meteo has the option to set your destination airport.Using this option allows FS Meteo to provide FS with the ATIS info for your destination when you get within range, someone else posted this default range.You also have the option to change this default range to something more to your liking.I cannot understand why you would want ATIS from, say, 300nm out, you certainly wouldn't get it rw.Like you I use 2PCs to run FS and if I want to see what the weather is at my destination I request that station in FS Meteo, no big deal.You seem to like rw actions - you say 'in the real airplane I would just dial in the ATIS I was looking for and listen to the weather.'That's fine, and in a real plane you would *not* get ATIS 300nm out, so you either have realism and ATIS at about 40nm out or easy-of-use and ATIS at any distance out, don't blame FS Meteo for giving you the options ;)

Vulcan,I understand what you are saying about the destination and you are correct that 40nms is sufficient. Sometimes, though, my flights meander a bit and I don't always land where I had originally intended. I also would like to tune some ATISs en route just to check on the weather. I've done both in the real world but I would agree it's not necessarily standard protocol.David

But you can still do that with FSMeteo???? Ohhh...Just when I thought I understood???

Fred,FSMeteo changes the global weather to match the weather station closest to you as you fly. If you dial the local ATIS the weather will be correct but if you try to dial an ATIS a ways away, you will get the same report. That said, FSMeteo allows you to also enter in your destination and it will download both METARS. As you get within a certain distance of your destination, 40nms for example, the global weather will revert to your destination weather, not necessarily the weather closest to your current location. The idea being that you can now plan a realistic approach to your destination. Does that help?David

David,I think what Fred was trying to say is that you can get Meteo to give you a weather report from anywhere by using the 'Requested Station' button, however this does not let you dial the ATIS frequency into COM1 to get the report, but you still get the report.I use this a lot to find out winds aloft en-route for fuel planning.

Yes, David, I understand that ;-)))) What I"m still trying to understand is what's the problem then? FS Meteo will blend the weather better than FS2K2, you can't dial in ATIS ayway in FS2K2 so what's the problem?????Still confused ;0-)

What do you mean you can't dial in the ATIS in FS2K2? That's the only real advantage to using the Real Weather option that MS provides. It downloads all of the local weather so that the ATISs are correct. The only time you can't use the ATIS is in multiplayer or online.David

OK, we seem to be going in circles here? I find it easier to dial weather into FS Meteo over FS2K2. Not sure what you are talking about yet and I think after this, I will never now. FS Meteo gives you much more acurate weather than FS2K2 anyday. Not really sure what you were complaining about in the first place now and not sure why i'm wasting my time here trying to figure it out ;-)