Sign in to follow this  
Flightsummer

Type Rating Course Lesson 1 - Question...

I'm confused about this detail:As you can see in the picture the aircraft axis is 310/130 degrees magnetic. The wind is blowing from 130 degrees. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/147211.jpgBut when you look to the external picture the rudder turns to the left. Shouldn't it be straight? http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/147212.jpgWhat is the reason? Be so kind and explane it to me.Thank you.

Guest Hawkeyeted

Even though you're unpressurized (assumption since pics are cold & dark), it might take a lot more than 16 kts of wind to straighten it out.I'm not a Boeing mech but on the aircraft I work on, the actuators/bungees still have some residual pressure in them even though the hydraulic system is unpressurized. The rudders/rudder tabs don't flutter in the breeze.

Thank you Ted,but when you change the wind direction, the rudder will also change like a flag. Even if the wind velocity is only 6 kt for example.

Ruediger-The rudder is being pushed from behind, (albeit, very gently) and moving gently to the left.If you go into your wind menu and bump the wind speed up, then move the wind to various points around the airplane, you will see how the rudder behaves in different wind conditions.With wind from directly behind the aircraft (corrected for mag var, etc) the rudder could go either way... It depends on the residual pressure in the accumulators and about 3 other factors I cannot recall at the moment.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Rob, thank you for your answer. I've made some tests with a surprising result. You are right, if the aircraft is in EDDH for example. There I can see a correct behaviour according to the aircraft/wind angel. Even when the wind comes directly from behind the rudder is straight and when the wind is going a few degrees to the left or to the right the rudder also changes slightly in the opposite direction. And if there are gusts it waggels a little, but keeps the correct direction. For me it seems to be a very realistic behavior. That's in EDDH or in any other airport - not so in KBFI. The picture shows the wind coming from 220 degrees with 8 kts. That's the right angle from the left and the rudder should turn to the right. It's not an important thing, I know that. But what's the reason? Is there something with the start situation, or with the hydraulic? I've seen that we have a strong magnetic deviation of 20 degrees there. May that have influence?Sorry for writing so much. I have to gain experience in that...

The most important I forgot to say: I'm very happy that I will get the opportunity to learn to fly the great Queen with this and the upcoming lessons. Thank you very much.