Sign in to follow this  
NJ_Flyer

Sound Crackling

G'Day allInstalled The B747-400 Freighter, the first thing I did was check the sounds.... thought everything was fine. Done a few "test flights", all was great.I just loaded up the B747-400F (GE Version) and completed the take off, and as I was climbing through FL220, it came back, the same sound crackle that caused me a lot of frustration. Anyone else have this problem? What could I do about it?

Cheers,
Ryan

Professional Coffee Drinker/BAe146 Driver
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer

Guest cliffie1931

Ryan I have had this problem for a long time and have now identified it with lack of speed and/or the need for flaps. If that's the same with you then bring out the flaps or increase the speed and the noise should disappear.Cliff

Hmm, thanks for the reply Cliff. Either way it shouldnt be happening. I cant remember for sure, but I think my Air Speed was around 270knts at the time it started. I tried shutting down the engines and packs to see if it may have been caused by one of them. But didnt get anywhere.

Cheers,
Ryan

Guest 744nut

Ryan,If this crackling sound is the socalled "stick shaker" than it is a indication that the airspeed is low or the speed is to low for the flapsetting. You can easily check this: if your speed is lower than the commanded speed (the magenta triangle on the speed tape)and it is within the range of the yellow line than you can hear the "stick shaker" In real life you do not only hear this sound but the yoke is shaking also.regardsTon

Guest cliffie1931

Hah! Ton I didn't realise that this is the stick shaker sound. That clears up a mystery for me. Thanks for that!Cliff

gents...crackling and the stick shaker are two different things. i have noticed crackling sounds have returned after the -400F install with patches. mostly from outside the plane, but it also is happening from the inside. unless you were below your minimum speed restriction, you should not have stick shaker. the stick shaker is loud and not subtle. crackling sound however, is. this is what i am experiencing for crackling sounds.tomax

gents...crackling and the stick shaker are two different things. i have noticed crackling sounds have returned after the -400F install with patches. mostly from outside the plane, but it also is happening from the inside. unless you were below your minimum speed restriction, you should not have stick shaker. the stick shaker is loud and not subtle. crackling sound however, is. this is what i am experiencing for crackling sounds.tomax

G'DayIt cant be the stick shacker, as I am well over the stall speed. It used to occur (b747-400) once I pass 10,000. So I thought all was well, but I realised I had not tried the GE model, didnt occur until above FL200. Does it happen to all of the models? Mine seems to be only with the GE sound pack.

Cheers,
Ryan

i think the sound package is being reworked because after the update, engine start sounds dissapeared all together.tomasx

Ryan it happens in all models (type and engines) in my case.In cruise is really annoying, and only happens in 2D cockpit (I don

the strangest thing is, when i downloaded the f originally when it was realased, the sound was phenomenally improved. you could hear the spooling of the engine start, and no crackling. now, however, with the latest update, two of those things have disappeared and returned, respectively.tomas

Tomas, the new sound is fantastic; the problem is the crackling. In my case, the problem appears , around 8000-10000 FT, and the dissapears in descent at the same altitude. The sound in Take-off, initial climb , final descent ...is impressive.Regards.Miquel Egea.

Guest diajohn2

I can confirm I am also get the crackling sounds. It is not the stick shaker but some type of corruption in the sound files. Last night it was the Fedex Model (whichever sounds it uses).

Guest lespindo

Friends I also have the crackling sound the most incredible thing is that I can reproduce the sound when ever I want. If you are using real time weather you are going to have the crackling sound if there is strong winds at take off It could happen at landing also It could happen at cruzing speed and suddenly you get into bad weather and the Queen starts to rock and roll and you lose speed and youre close to the yellow buffet, Its a nightmere..And also you might lose VNAV.Try to PLan a trip without realtime weather something like Clear of weather and you will see youre not going to have the famous crackling sound. I realy think It has something to do with FSUIPC. but any way whith or without crackling sound you have to admit that she is wonderful...............PS:A simple way to get rid of the crackling sound at take off is to have more speed, like V2+10 in the MCP window." yes I now that V2 goes in the MCP!!! and that the FMC will comand V2+10 when nose goes up," but if you lose speed at this stage for what ever reason then youre geting the sound!!!! try It!!!!